Reader Jeri created these awesome earrings with floral decorating wire she found at the dollar store. She graciously wrote a tutorial exclusively for Dollar Store Crafts and shares it with us today! Visit Jeri’s shop at Kitty’s Purse Shop.
Special Tool: To make these earrings, Jeri recommends buying a pair of special pliers:
I will tell you that I did invest in a pliers that has rubber on its ends because aluminum is soft and marks can be left quite easily. I used a coupon for 50% (got it off the internet) and went to a craft store and ended up paying $2.45 for it and it has already paid for itself. Before I got that tool, I would end up throwing what ever I made away because it had tool marks all over it. You can do it without the tool but it is so much easier with it.
Floral Decorating Wire: Buy floral decorating wire in the flower section of the dollar store. They have many colors and you get 6 feet for $1.00. You can make 4 pair of earrings with that much.
- Floral Decorating Wire, $1 for a 6-foot piece (makes 4 pairs of earrings)
- Earring hooks, $1 for a package
- Beads, on hand or $1 per package
- Wire cutters, on hand or $1
- Nylon jaw pliers, $2.50 with coupon at craft store
- Sandpaper or nail file, on hand
Total: $2 for earring supplies, $2.50 for special tool
- Cut 2 pieces of floral wire each approximately 9 inches long. On the ones I curled I put a mark at the 4″ mark so I would know how much I could curl before the beads were put on.
- You need to smooth the cut ends a little before you start. I used some sandpaper that was laying around the garage, but you could use a nail file or emery board or even use the cement on the porch to get rid of the sharp ends.
- Using your pliers, make a swirl and keep turning the wire until it gets to the mark you made on the wire.
- Put some beads on and then start curling at the other end. Create a small loop at one end for hanging on ear hooks, or add a jump ring around part of the coil.
- TIP: if some of the color of the wire gets scraped off, use a magic marker in that color to touch it up.
Price per set of earrings:
- 18″ of wire = $.24
- (2) beads = $.10 each
- Earring wire = $.04 each
Total: $.52 for 1 set of earrings