Home » $5 and Under, Decor, Headline, High Concept

Make a String Lamp

27 January 2010 24,619 views 6 Comments

Use an old technique to make a cool new lamp! Use string, a balloon, and some kind of stiffener to make this cool string lampshade, found at Pickles. You can pick up a pendant lamp kit at your local home improvement store or IKEA for ten bucks or less. Or, you could play around with using twinkle lights  as illumination. Pickles used wallpaper paste to stiffen the string, but other  makers had good luck with Elmer's glue or other types of stiffeners. You can use a big punch-balloon (find at the party store if your dollar store doesn't stock them) for the round form or an inflatable beach ball like x4duros did. [click here for how to make a string lamp]

• Ball of string or yarn or two, $1 and up
  • Elmer's glue, 3 large desk bottles, about $1 each
  • Inflatable beach ball or punch balloon, $1
  • Vaseline, on hand

Total: $5 and up

• wait now « the wallpaper goes. said:

[…] I’m just wishful thinking for some spastic garden party deco, but this string lamp craft from dollarstore crafts could be potentially incredible, especially in combo with […]

• JeolsliesMomma said:

Ouu this is a neat idea! I have soooo much yarn.

• Lindsie said:

I have been searching all over the internet for a pendant light kit but can’t find one anywhere. Is it possibly called something else? Any other ideas? I desperately need to make a light like this for our bedrooms which don’t have any overhead lighting.

• tururu said:

Thanks for link me. Nice blog :D

• Amanda said:

After seeing this idea, I tried to find a cord… I know Ikea sells them but although located close-ish to two, I choose to use public transportation and I am limited travel wise. So, I let my head wander and I remembered I had inherited a set of candle stick lights that many people adorn their windows with. I find them tacky, but saved them anyway only to realize their cords, matched with these shades (I’m using mint green, a darker, vibrant green, and a white) would look lovely grouped together. If you think hard enough, you’ll be able to figure out something you can use.

• cupcake christy said:

I used a strand of twinkle lights instead of one light but i’m not sure how to go about hanging it. Any suggestions?