Home » $5 and Under, Accessories, Fashion, Headline, Wearable Crafts

Make a Zipper Brooch

18 January 2010 18,964 views 9 Comments

zipperbrooch

I love the texture of jewelry and accessories made from metal zippers. This rose brooch is an especially nice mix of hard-edged and softness. If you have a center for reclaimed materials near you, you might be able to get a deal on metal-toothed zippers for this project. (I just visited SCRAP in Portland, and it had an AMAZING selection of recycled materials, including zippers. I know there are similar stores in Austin and San Francisco -- check the "road trip" section here for a list of other cities with similar programs. Anyone else have one nearby? Sound off in the comments.) [click here for zipper brooch instructions] via [my favorite source for recycled fashion and design ideas]

*2 Coats & Clark Brass Coverall Zipper 22" Black or zipper trim, about $4 and up
*Pin back, on hand (Westrim Pin Back 1" Silver 60pc)
*Needle & thread, on hand

Total: $4 and up

p.s. I am trying a new affiliate program out. I know it's kind of clunky to have the links to products in the list, but if you need a source for these products, Create For Less is a good online source for cheap supplies. Click one of the links in the list to go to the store. If you buy, I get a teeny percentage.

p.p.s. On a personal note, I took last weekend off because I was moving! Still sorting out the internet connection at the new place! Don't worry, I'll try to make sure you get a dose of dollar store goodness this weekend! Oh, and I got some goodie bags of cool stuff when I visited SCRAP that I will be giving away very soon! Stay tuned.

• pam said:

You really are into the jewelry mode. aren’t you? I am amazed at how really cute this is! If someone told me they made a pin out of a zipper … well, let’s just say I would have been hard put to imagine it!

I bet you are sorting out more than the internet connections after your move!!! Hope getting settled in to your new place goes as smoothly as possible.

• genie said:

Do you know the name of that place in Austin, TX? I live near there and would love to go, but have never heard of it before and it’s not on the Scrap page… Thanks!

• shevy said:

in st. paul, mn there is a store called ‘art scraps’
    my mom just bought a bag of zippers there for abt 5c a piece.

• Blof Buddy said:

Love this cool idea-I’ve seen these roses on leather purses here out west:)

• inarosie said:

Here is one to add to your roadtrip section.

The Long Beach Depot for Creative Reuse, in Long Beach, CA.
    Here is it’s website http://thelongbeachdepot.org/ and a link to it’s facebook page http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Long-Beach-Depot-For-Creative-ReUse/115960447510

Lisa Hernandez is the owner and she is great! Tell her Ina sent ya!

• Tutorial Tuesday: Zipper-Dee-Doo-Dah - OGG Blog said:

[...] Zipper Brooch by Jo-Ann Fabric posted at Chic Steals. Found via Dollar Store Crafts.  2. Cat Morley shows us how to make Zip Tab Earrings over at Cut Out and Keep 3. LOVING this [...]

• sandy fritz said:

i could not get the directions for how to make a zipper brooch off of your page it kept redirecting me to other areas please send simple direction thanks

@sandy, the link has been updated. http://www.chic-steals.com/2009/07/diy-joann-fabrics-zipper-rose-corsage.html

• carlyjcais said:

Hi Heather!
    Thanks so much for linking to the zipper rose corsage instructions I posted!:-D
    xoxo