Home » $1 and Free, cheap crafts, Decor, Headline, Tutorials, Weddings

Make Paper Lanterns

19 June 2010 25,720 views 12 Comments

I was super-busy last week so I didn't get a chance to post about these summer paper lanterns I made for my guest post at Salty Pineapple. Did you make these in school when you were a kid? I updated the traditional paper lantern craft just a bit, and I think they're charming and would make a fabulous decoration for any summer soiree (including a wedding). Also, here's a great way to use up some of your excess scrapbooking paper (have you noticed how it starts looking dated after awhile?). [make paper lanterns tutorial]

• 2 pieces of scrapbooking paper, $1 or on hand
  • Scrap of ribbon, on hand
  • Scissors and clear tape, on hand

Total: FREE and up

• ana @ iMadeItSo said:

heather, these are so pretty. such a classic craft too. great choices of paper, i like how you can see the contrasting pattern peeking through.

• Joanne said:

I used to LOVE making these when I was a little girl! Love the tutorial. Linked to you in my week in review post today. Have a great weekend!

• Kathy V. said:

Beautiful!

• Summer Paper Lanterns · Lesson Plans @ CraftGossip said:

[…] paper lanterns before, but thought this tutorial was nice and easy! Salty Pineapple is featured on Dollar Store Crafts where I found the […]

• Bethany @ The Paper Pony said:

I loved making these as a kid and have forgotten about them. Using such pretty paper totally updates the whole idea. Thanks for bringing them back!

• Danielle from A Few of My Favorite Things said:

I, too, totally forgot about making these! I’m going to have to crank a bunch of these out for my twin girls’ birthday party this fall. Thanks for the great tutorial!

• pam said:

I was surprised at how easy these are to make! I’ve bookmarked your tutorial and will definitely be trying my hand at making your lanterns! Maybe little tiny ones as gift embellishment!

• Bromeliad said:

How cute and simple.

• no-sew netbook case from dollar store crafts | According To Kelly said:

[…] more great ideas visit heather at dollar store crafts. she’s a wealth of knowledge: paper lantern how-to’s, pottery barn look-a-like stenciled decorator tins, even a placemat advent […]

• Sarah said:

My brother used to make these for me every year at Christmas!! I never thought about these lanterns as summer decor…hmmm…I’m just going to have to make some of these- may be for Halloween ;)

• Just Crafty Enough – Challenge #22 – Al Fresco said:

[…] Set the scene with some pretty paper lanterns like these from our friends at Dollar Store Crafts. […]

• Spencer said:

I took multiple pieces of poster board and made four as tall as I am with my sons.