I got a lot of winning video material out of my recent Dollar Tree shopping trip with Breanna. I even got some footage to give you a taste of what it’s like shopping at the dollar store with three little kids. Parent of the Year, or Parent from H-E-double hockey sticks? You be the judge (and let me know what you think).
My tips for shopping with kids?
- Make sure they’re at the beginning of their day/as far away from naptime as possible
- Make sure they’ve eaten recently
- At the dollar store, bribe with $1 (“You can choose ONE thing to take home”)
- Keep a reserve bag of candy or snacks in your purse for additional bribes
- Hit the toy aisle LAST (and use it as a bribe for good behavior)
- Keep your voice low so the whole store doesn’t know your business with your kiddo
- Leave before it’s too late
LiEr at ikat bag wrote a post awhile back about fabric shopping with kiddos that you might enjoy. Lots of great tips there (my favorite one, which holds true in any situation: “dress your children adorably. Other patrons in line with you for the cutting counter are more easily charmed by a child in a well-put-together outfit.”)