Home » Decor, From Our Readers, Headline, supplies

Question: How to Disguise TV Cords?

14 December 2010 13,636 views 9 Comments

muro media storage by design within reach

Reader Vanessa asks: "My fiancé and I have mounted our TV on the wall but since we live in an apartment, we can't hide the TV cords in the walls. I've tried to place all sorts of tall things in front if them to no avail, it's still ugly. Have you seen any creative, affordable options?"

Quick Suggestions:

To keep things neat-looking, bind multiple cords neatly together with zip ties or velcro ties designed for holding cords (you can these items at the dollar store).

Without altering the apartment walls, your options are more limited. Making some kind of narrow cord cover might be your best option. While it might not completely disguise the fact that your TV is plugged in, a neutral cord cover can minimize the visual clutter of a mass of cords.

Other ideas:

photo by Danny Seo at Daily Danny

Readers, please discuss your great ideas for hiding cords from a mounted TV here! Please post links and photos if you have them!

• Andi said:

Don’t hide your cords, display them!

• Joy said:

Is it safe to cover your cords in fabric? Wouldn’t this be a fire hazard, esp. if cord has an unknown fray in it?

@Joy It’s possible! Exercise caution if you go this route, for sure! I would definitely inspect the cord before covering it with fabric, and keep the fabric away from the plug and wall outlet.

Thanks for the comment and food for thought!

Heather

• Angela D said:

We had the same problem. We couldn’t get our cords into our wall. We bought this stuff at Lowe’s (pretty cheap-can’t remember exactly how much) but it was paintable. It’s plastic and it covers the wires and sticks to the wall, without damage. We just painted over it the same color as our walls and you can’t even see it!

• Gina said:

To hide our cords (and create a movie theater effect) we hung floor to ceiling curtains along the walls that the TV is on. Behind the TV there is actually two half curtains, one is tucked behind the TV and the other covers up all the cords, but it looks full length. It’s a really nice effect and curtains were purchased at Big Lots for about $9/pair.

• Sherry said:

I agree, cord covers would be the easiest route. Home Depot also sells them in the electrical parts section. They come in 3′ lengths (or so)which can be cut shorter or added together to make a longer run, and in a couple of thicknesses, and they are self-adhesive. They are like a rectangular tube with a slit in one side to wedge the cords in. Then you stick them to the wall. (If a rental, consider the wall surface — you might want to not use the adhesive and attach with tacks or something instead, so removal later doesn’t cause damage.)They come in white and can be painted to match the wall or left as is. I think the key to making them less noticible and more professional looking is to make sure they are very straight — crooked looks just as bad as visible cords. Good luck!

• Sarah said:

A good idea would be to cut some paper towel (or wrapping paper) tubes in half and affix them to the wall covering the cords, and then decorate with paint or wallpaper to blend in!

The idea just popped into my head, so I think I’m going to try it out on my cords now!

• Melinda said:

I just wanted to put my 2 cents in and show you the cord covers that I make at http://www.etsy.com/shop/mamamellymartin. I’m a stay at home mom who is very frugal so I keep my costs low for other frugal moms.

• nikki said:

How did the top picture cover the cords? Also info on the shelves please.