If you are a pet owner, you know how expensive dog and cat clothes can be. Finding a pattern for a dog coat can be difficult. Well, worry no more! Cheap and easy pet clothes tutorial to the rescue! We’ve come up with instructions to make a cute dog coat that is so easy to sew that you’ll be making them for every occasion. All you need is a baby bib and a reusable tote to make this little doggy dress!
How to Make a Dog Coat
by Erika Lindquist, Sew DoggyStyle
You can find the items you need for this dog coat pattern at the dollar store. And, although there is sewing involved, it is very basic. You can even do it with a needle and thread if you want! This project works for small dogs and is perfect for cats, too!
- Baby bib, $1
- Reusable tote bag, $1
- Sewing stuff, on hand
1. Test-fit the bib’s neck around your pet to make sure it fits.
2. Use the straps from the tote as a waist tie. Cut the straps off the tote bag.
3. Sew the straps to the lower sides of the bib.
4. Cut off a strip of the tote to the desired length for the skirt.
5. Ruffle the skirt and fold the ends in. Cut off any extra material or just ruffle it to the exact length of the bottom of the bib. Pin it in place.
6. Sew the good sides of the bib and ruffled strip together. Here’s what the inside of the dress looks like.
7. I added the four leaf clover — it’s just a stick on from Joann’s dollar aisle. Remove it and replace with an Easter egg in April!
I have brought my passion for animals and crafts together through Sew DoggyStyle. My site is all about handmade fashions and crafts for dogs! I specialize in upcycled, cute, simple, and one-of-a-kind items for your pets. I am a very well-rounded crafter with many different crafts under my belt, but my favorite one is sewing. I also have a real passion for finding creative ways to save money. I have several money-saving pet craft projects that I’m very proud of:
My Favorite Projects:
I also have an Etsy Shop where I sell my doggy fashions: Sew DoggyStyle Shop.