Home » Headline, supplies, Video

Dollar Store Haul: Japanese Dollar Store

29 November 2011 3,751 views 10 Comments

japanese dollar store haul

Sometimes it seems like I like to buy craft supplies even more than crafting with them. Anyone else out there do that? I have built a formidable stash, so to justify my addiction, I make videos of my "hauls" so I can feel like something productive is happening with the swag I picked up at the dollar store. This week, I present to you a haul I got in San Diego's Marukai, a Japanese dollar store where everything is $1.50.

If you are a Youtube fan, subscribe to my Youtube channel! And, like last week's haul video, this video features my two year-old son, who insisted on helping me (such a helper!). I recommend watching the video just because he's 200 times cuter in video form than in the photos. Video next, and then after that I will do a photo recap.

Marukai Japanese Dollar Store Haul Recap

japanese dollar store haul

First up, a sandwich cutter that cuts your sandwiches into cute little animal shapes! I am a huge fan of fun food, so a lot of what I got was food-related.

japanese dollar store haul

Next, tiny little cookie cutters that are really for cutting up bits of cheese, egg, or meat (or whatever), for use in bento lunches. These are shaped like traffic signs, vehicles, etc. For more bento inspiration, visit Wendolonia.

japanese dollar store haul

You can't see very well in this image, but these are super cute little plastic sauce containers shaped like fish and tiny bottles. You can use them for soy sauce, or any other tiny bit of liquid you just have to take somewhere.

japanese dollar store haul

Duct tape printed with kanji. No idea what it says, but maybe it's something like "fragile." I will definitely be making a duct tape craft with this!!

embossing stapler

This is a little paper embossing gadget that looks like a stapler but it impresses shapes in paper instead of stapling stuff. Sweet!!

autumn colors chopsticks

A pack of chopsticks in autumn colors. My favorite!

mom and baby

And that's it! Join us next time!

• Carolina {Always Expect Moore} said:

That looks like so much fun! Will have to look for Japanese Dollar stores next time I go out of town! I’m sure all those cookie-cheese-egg cutters work just as well on playdoh for the kids! : )

• Sandra said:

Awesome!! I haven’t been to a Marukai in a long time, because I didn’t realize that we had one in San Diego! So glad to know it’s so close, and I’ll be heading over soon!

• Michelle L. said:

Ohhhh, I want that stuff in my stash! Gots to find me a local japanese dollar store!

• urban craft said:

I’m so jealous. The best I got was the Japanese grocery store in Hawaii. Bento boxes for $5! Our last trip to the UK I passed by the “pound” store and my husband no way.
    Heather, you and your little man are so cute.

• Keonli said:

I have those exact same cookie cutters! I purchased them for nearly $3 on sale through an online retailer. What an awesome find!

• Keri said:

Ooooh! I used to live in Japan and while I have never been to a Murukai, I can’t even explain to you how awesome the 100 yen stores are! No matter what company owns the store, the selection of dishes is ridiculous. There is a huge variety of candy, kitchen supplies, food, kids toys, office supplies, gift wrap, holiday decorations, candles seriously everything. My heart hurts a little thinking about what I’m missing right now.

@Keri, some of the things I bought have the Daiso brand name on them.

• Victoria said:

My daughter was stationed in Misawa Japan and we went to visit. They have 100 Yen stores that beat anything in the states hands down! Everything, I mean everything we brought home for souvenirs came from the 100 Yen store. I packed everything I could possibly get in my bag. My daughter is stateside now and I sure miss the 100 Yen store! I still have a few items that I can’t bear to open such as a beautiful Kanji set with brush, ink, and paper as well as my last origami paper pack.

• Maryann said:

Holy McMoly! I live in San Diego and I’ve seen this place many times, but it’s very near our Asian business district (eastern Kearny Mesa, especially along Convoy Street) so I never singled it out as a place I wanted to go in. I can’t believe I’ve been missing out! Thank you so much.

• Kimberly said:

Love! I currently live in Japan and we frequent the 100¥ and Seria shops. Great
    stores to find inexpensive and nice gifts, stocking stuffers, etc =)