Home » $5 and Under, Gifts to Make, Headline, Holiday Crafts

Make a Valentine’s Day Gumball Machine

22 January 2012 66,083 views 26 Comments

by rhonda

This gumball machine idea is so stinkin' adorable!  They are made by stacking flower pots and glass bowls together; isn't it amazing how much they look like the real deal?  I tip my hat to Pamela of Pamela Susan's Fine Jewelry & Gifts for coming up with these!  When I first saw them, I totally did a double-take as I realized how they were constructed.  Whether you make one for your own holiday decor or you give them as gifts to your sweetest friends, this is a clever idea that is certain to make people smile when they see it!  [how to make a Valentine's Day gumball machine]

• Flower pot with drainage saucer, $1 and up
  • Glass bowl, $1
  • Paint, on hand or $1 and up
  • Wooden ball or knob, on hand or $1
  • Glue, on hand
  • Candy, $1 and up

Total:  $3 and up

• Roxanne Rowley said:

Love this!!

• Michelle L. said:

Ooh! You had me at ‘gumball machine’!!!

• adnohr said:

amazing…what a great idea

• Melissa said:

I found you on Pinterest… these are adorable! I’m hosting a Valentine theme linky party starting tonight at 11:30. Would love it if you came by and linked up! http://www.serendipityandspice.blogspot.com
    -Melissa

• Alison Jones said:

So darn cute…..gonna make some this week!!

• Daly @ Write a Bio said:

Do you think it would be silly if I made one for my boyfriend? We’re not kids but we surely act like kids :)

• Pamela Susan said:

Thanks so much for the fabulous highlight! I’m thrilled everyone is enjoying the gumball machine craft. My husband still has the larger one of the two on his work desk… it’s been there since I gave it to him 2 years ago! :)

Thanks again!

• LuAnn said:

I’d be more impressed if she had actually been the one to think of this. These have been around for years and years. maybe it’s the fact that you guys are so young that these are new-to-you crafts. On a more positive note, she did a fantastic job at executing the craft.

• Debbie said:

I found you through pinterest.. LOVE this idea. I think it’s adorable.

And, LuAnn, I for one, am impressed with this craft, even if I am young. I think it’s creative and easy! Who shoved a stick up your a$$?!?!?

• Pat said:

I made these many years ago for Christmas Gifts. I found the ideas while on a road trip to Lyman, Wy. The gifts were a big hit. Some of my family and friends still have them. I love the ones you made for Valentines. They are so darn cute. I think I will have to make some for my friends. Thanks for the cute and easy idea.

• Zina :: Let's Lasso the Moon said:

Sooooo cute!

• Lisa said:

Luann- I’d be more impressed if you had manners.

Great craft, I’m going shopping for the supplies tomorrow! Thanks!

• cindy said:

I keep trying to open the tutorial on how to make these but all I see is 5 pics …could you send me a step by step so I can make these with my kiddos?? Thank you Cindy Robles

• heather said:

Hi Cindy! You have to click on each photo to get the step-by-step instructions. HEre’s step 1, and then you click “next” on the left to go to the next one. http://pamelasusan.typepad.com/photos/the_ultimate_handmade_gum/gumballtutorial1.html

• Allison said:

@ Luann.. honestly? That is the whole point of the internet: passing along information. What {solely yours}genius idea have you bestowed upon the world lately?
    @ Lisa.. exactly!

***most importantly*** @ Rhonda.. thanks for your time and sharing, i can’t wait to try these beauties!

• peri said:

im SO going to make these…so adorable.

• Theresa MoMeesa said:

Great Idea.. I’ve pinned in my teacher gifts category. Another idea? Add the cute note on a bag of seeds, especially herbs, and remind the teacher she/he can reuse this as an actual planter. Just another idea as often teacher’s desks/classrooms can be filled with these gifts and they don’t know what to do with them.

• eva said:

Where can I find the wooden knobs?

• rhonda (author) said:

@eva – Look in the drawer/cupboard pull section of the hardware store

• eva said:

@rhonda (author) Thank you for the quick reply, will do that. Another question if anyone knows, I have the Tacky glue shown in the picture will that work for the glass bowl or will I have to buy a different type of glue?

• Enjoli said:

Love it what size pot did you use

• Dollar Store Crafts » Blog Archive » 10 DIY Valentine’s Day Gifts for Guys said:

[…] Valentine's Day Gumball Machine – Candy is the great equalizer, isn't it? Stock a handmade "gumball" machine with your fella's favorite sweet treats! […]

• Last-Minute Valentine’s Day Ideas | The Huffman Post said:

[…] is FULL of quick and easy (and inexpensive) do-it-yourself gift ideas! Like this ADORABLE gumball machine made from dollar store materials! A small flower pot, a quick […]

• Krista said:

What kind of glue did you use? Very cute!! Going to make this for a teacher appreciation gift!!

• heather said:

@Krista, more details if you click through to the tutorial. She used Tacky Glue.