Home » $1 and Free, cheap crafts, Headline, Kids, Tutorials

Make a Miniature Dollhouse Layer Cake

30 March 2012 13,248 views 10 Comments

by rhonda

One day a while back I was scrubbing some lime scale off of my kitchen faucet (exciting, right?) when I looked down at the sponge in my hand it made me think of cake.  A little weird, I know.  (Alright, so maybe I was a little PMS-y that day too.  Chances are at that point almost anything would have reminded me of a dessert.)  When I found thin sponge cloths at Dollar Tree a few days later, the dollhouse-obsessed side of my crafty personality got a little excited.  This tiny cake isn't any more edible than the sponge that inspired it, but it sure does look a lot yummier!

• Sponge cloths, $1
  • Wooden disc, on hand or $1 and up
  • Button, on hand
  • Paint, on hand
  • Craft knife, on hand
  • Mod Podge, on hand
  • Glue, on hand

Total:  $1 and up

My sponge cloths came in three colors: orange, blue, and yellow.  You could make a crazy colorful cake, but I used the yellow sponge for my cake so it would look more traditional.  Cut three one-inch circles out of the sponge.  Seal each circle of sponge with Mod Podge, which will prevent your paint "frosting" from soaking into the sponge.

Mix equal parts Mod Podge and craft paint in the color you want your frosting to be.  Paint a thick layer onto the top of each circle.

Stack the three circles together to form your cake.  (To make a cake with more layers, just keep adding circles until it reaches the height you want!)

Paint more of the mixture around the outside of the stack so that your cake is completely frosted.  Let it dry overnight.

Cut a wedge-shaped slice out of the cake with a craft knife.  (It's easiest to cut the cake if you flip it upside-down and work from the bottom.)  Brush a layer of Mod Modge over the exposed sponge to protect it.

To make a serving tray for the cake and a plate for the slice, you need a 1 1/2 inch wooden circle and a button.

Paint both pieces if desired.  I painted both of mine white because I was feeling all matchy-matchy.

Glue the cake and slice to the pieces you just painted with some strong glue.  (I used Amazing Goop.)  That's it!  It was a piece of cake, right?

• Desirr said:

Shut UP!
    This is so dar cute and super clever… love it!

• Emma said:

you are genius!

• Maureen Sklaroff said:

Another great miniature DIY! Thanks!

• Craft Project: Miniature Dollhouse Layer Cake | Mrs. Greene - crafts, food, fashion, life said:

[...] How about a layer cake made out of…  a sponge?  No special artsy skills required here, just some simple cutting, painting, and gluing.  Want to see how it’s done?  Head over to Dollar Store Crafts for the complete tutorial.  [go to the tutorial] [...]

• MegaCrafty said:

Brilliant idea! I love your amazingly creative use of that sponge material! Thanks for sharing this project.

• i.ikeda said:

Oh my! My daughter is going to flip when she sees this. It’s perfect for her doll house and doll tea sets. Thank you for sharing.

• Lisa said:

This is awesome! Genius for looking at sponge and seeing cake

• Joan said:

So cute! And I thought only professionals can simplify such meticulous-looking wonders. The amazingly pretty mini cake will match any equally pretty dollhouse.

• issie said:

Ingenious, a simpler way to make sponge cake.

• Nancy Blecke said:

I know this isn’t about sponges but I make Barbie clothes and to make a “suede” looking vest, I used a chamois. No need to put in a hem or tack back the sides, either. Came out PERFECT!