Home » $1 and Free, cheap crafts, Headline, Kids, Tutorials

Make a Miniature Dollhouse Newspaper

3 March 2012 9,477 views 16 Comments

by rhonda

One of my favorite things about working on my dollhouse projects is finding ways to replicate mundane, everyday things in a tiny scale.  And what is more everyday than the newspaper? Keep your dollhouse residents up-to-date on local and world events by fashioning your own itty-bitty periodicals.  If you have a printer and some Mod Podge, you have everything you need to make this project, and it's so very easy!

• Newspaper image, free
  • Paper, on hand
  • Mod Podge, on hand

Total:  Free!

First you need to find a picture of the front page of a newspaper.  I found mine via a Google image search; try searching for the name of the paper you want plus the words "front page," such as "USA Today front page" or "New York Times front page."  Save the image file to your computer and resize it to be 1 1/2 inches wide, then print it out.  Make sure you print it far enough into the page so that there is at least a 1 1/2 inch margin to the left of the image.

When you cut out the image, cut a the paper twice as wide as the picture (3 inches) so that there is a blank space to the left of the image.  Fold the paper in half and crease well.

Cut a second piece of paper the same size as the piece with the newspaper image.  Crease this piece of paper as well.  You will use this piece as interior pages for the paper, giving it a little more bulk and making it look more realistic.

Slip the blank piece of paper inside the printed piece, then fold both in half together and crease.  It should be starting to look like a newspaper!  You can leave it folded like this, or you can fold it in half again before you seal it.

Seal the paper with Mod Podge.  Pinch the newspaper shut so that all of the pages lay flat, then brush a coat of Mod Podge around the edges to hold everything in place.  Continue to add coats of Mod Podge over the entire newspaper until you are satisfied with the coverage.  (I usually Mod Podge my paper miniatures until then sound like they are made of plastic if you drop them on the table!)

Once the Mod Podge cures completely, you may want to seal it with some clear acrylic spray to prevent it from becoming tacky in high humidity.  The dolls will never be out-of-the-loop again!

• Meghan said:

Now that’s clever!

• Care said:

FANTASTIC!!

• Mod Podge Amy said:

This could be the cutest thing I’ve ever seen.

• Hilary said:

http://www.printmini.com/printables Has a lot of older newspapers available to print out, including ones from major events like Pearl Harbor or the Hiroshima bomb.

• Donna, Life Coach said:

Beautiful! I love miniatures and this is just perfect for a doll house.

• mikeasaurus said:

Nice one, Heather. It looks just like a real newspaper! I also really like the dollhouse hardwood floors in the same picture (coffee stir-sticks?)

• rhonda (author) said:

They are indeed coffee stir sticks! They are “finished” with gloss Mod Podge! :)

• Serena said:

So clever! And I love your stir sticks hardwood floors :0)

• Cindy said:

Really cute!
    Never thought of using google images to get newspaper images – brilliant!!
    I’ve never worked with ModPodge – does it make the newspaper shiney? – it seems shiny in the photos.
    Any suggestions for doing this w/o the shine??

Thanks

• Lindsey said:

Cindy… For something without the shine, you can buy polyurethane spray paint at the hardware store. Just make sure you select a matte or semi finish.

• Craft Project: Miniature Dollhouse Newspaper | Mrs. Greene - crafts, food, fashion, life said:

[...] Things are really starting to come together with my latest dollhouse project! I’m working on a little breakfast nook, and I’ve knocked out a bunch of project for it already, so prepare for an onslaught of delightfully tiny crafts! Today at Dollar Store Crafts I posted a tutorial for making a dollhouse-sized newspaper. All you need is a printer and some Mod Podge! And even though these little papers are made of, well, paper… They are durable enough to stand up to play. They are also detailed enough to please adult collectors! [go to the tutorial] [...]

• Crystal said:

Where did you get that Apple wallpaper? I’ve been searching all over for some for my daughter’s dollhouse kitchen. Also great tutorial. Thank you.

• rhonda (author) said:

The wallpaper came in a whole giant storage tote full of wallpaper and upholstery fabrics that I received from my husband’s grandmother. It’s hard to say where it originally came from because she was both a craft hoarder and an avid traveller! I inherited quite a collection of miscellaneous supplies from her. :)

• Crystal said:

Ok thank you! Have you ever used wallpaper pruned off the computer before?

• rhonda (author) said:

I haven’t actually tried it yet but I do have a few images saved to my hard drive that I thought would make great wallpaper! I have also taken wallpaper that I liked that had too large of a pattern for dollhouse use and reduced it on a color photocopier, which worked out pretty well.

• Lisa said:

Here’s a site I found that has digital download of newspaper, books, magazines, comic books, and maps all in one huge kit for super cheap.

I ordered it and the resolution is amazing — they aren’t lying when they say you can read the pages. Newspapers in the kit are moon landing, titanic, building the railroad, and lincoln. Books, magazines, maps and comic books are too many to name here.

SO MUCH BETTER than buying them on Ebay.

Here’s the link if anyone else is interested:

Thanks for your blog! Your site is the best!