Home » $1 and Free, Accessories, Fashion, Headline, Tutorials, Wearable Crafts

Make a Paperclip Statement Necklace

6 March 2012 19,118 views 13 Comments

by sisters4

paperclip necklace

Our friend Selina (sister #1 of The Sisters 4 Say More is More) has always been a budget fashionista, so it's no surprise she's really been on a roll with dollar store statement necklaces.  She recently made a fabric-wrapped ball necklace;  she's here again today to share a glam creation made from a very humble material:  paper clips!  She used gold paperclips, but I also saw black and white paper clips at Dollar Tree the other day if you prefer a more graphic look.  ~ Rhonda

• Paperclips, $1
  • Cord, on hand or $1
  • Straight pins, on hand or $1

Total:  $1 and up

So, my quest to have endless options for statement necklaces at a fraction of the cost has led me to look at found objects with a very different perspective.  Gold paperclips are no longer paper clips, they are fancy accessories, waiting for their potential to be unleashed!

So I linked them together and pinned them in place.

I wrapped a cord around my pins and tacked it in place...

...then looped some cord in and out of each clip while also grabbing the first cord.

Make sure to leave enough cord on either side to tie in the back. All done!

This necklace gets more compliments than any other that I own!  The next thing out of everyone's mouth is, "Wait... are those paperclips?!"

~Selina

• Sarah Forhan said:

Oh my goodness I “heart” this!! Madly in LOVE with this necklace! So creative and frugal.

• amber said:

nice! i work in an office where i use a lot of paper clips, so i might actually try this !! thanks for the idea

• Melinda said:

I love this…I am always looking for something “different” and I do think this is it! I love that it is very frugally made and it could be a recycled project too…it could be scaled down for the kids or done with the wild colored paperclips….so many ideas! LOVE it!

• Beth said:

Awesome, just AWESOME!

• Michelle L. said:

That is superb! And great stylish photos to go with it!

• Carrie Schultz said:

Awesome idea… Who woulda “thunk”?

• Paperclip Necklace said:

[…] from The Sisters 4 Say More is More shared on Dollar Store Crafts how to create a fabulous, statement-making necklace from an ordinary office supply – paperclips! […]

• DIY Links of the Week 3.05 – 3.12.12 | Chic Steals said:

[…] Martha Stewart, and Dollar Store Crafts.  And to start you off, why not try out this chic-looking DIY Paperclip Necklace featured on Dollar Store Crafts?  It reminds me a bit of a Forever 21 paperclip necklace that I […]

• Bromeliad said:

Brilliant.

Plus you always have a paperclip if you need one.

• Serena said:

Trivia: No less than Coco Chanel created a necklace using French paperclips, which, at least at the time, were fancier than the paperclips we have here. Probably the most famous and coveted necklace in all of Europe, esp since Ms Chanel made a limited number.

• apopofpurple said:

Cute innovative idea!

love the way statement necklaces uplifts an outfit so effortlessly. do come by my blog to check it out at http://apopofpurple.wordpress.com/ – I have a new post on statement necklaces. Do feel free to leave a note when you’re there or like me on facebook.

thanks!

xoxo
    jenn

• diane turner said:

did a save girl!! love it !!