Home » $1 and Free, cheap crafts, Headline, Office Crafts, Tutorials

Tutorial: Upcycled Tin Storage Containers

26 February 2013 23,871 views 14 Comments

by morena

Dollar store crafts: DIY Storage Tins

If you're a crafter, you're always trying to figure out where to put all your stuff.  If you're a budget crafter, you're trying to figure out how get organized without breaking the bank.  If you're a fashionista budget crafter (let's call it fabucrafter....just humor me), then you're looking for attractive, inexpensive storage options.  Well, this fabucrafter has got you covered.  I recycled old tins to make cute, colorful storage containers.

DIY Storage

• Tins,  on hand
  • Knobs, $1
  • Spray Paint,  on hand or $1 and up

Total: $1 and up

Storage DIY supplies

To make your own storage tin:

Storage jar DIY lid

Step one: Drill a hole into the lid of the tin.

Step two: Attach the knob to the lid.  I found the knobs pictured in the dollar bins at Michael's.

Step three: Prime and paint the tins.

Your pretty storage tins are ready to be filled!  I plan to use mine in my craft room, but since I didn't paint the inside they could be used for other things, too, like the Halloween candy you took from your kids.  So start saving those tins, all you fabucrafters, and have fun creating!

Recycled Tins for Storage

• Jackie said:

This is yet another one of those “Why didn’t I think of that?” things! I always save tins thinking I surely can do something with them, but I never figure out what. :) And I could put on some labels, fill with goodies, and use them for gifting, too. Thanks so much!

• Brandy said:

I’ve been trying to find some lime green canisters for my kitchen for sugar, flour and rice. These will be perfect! And so simple!

• Laura White said:

Hi – what a fabulous idea! Love the paint colors. What brand/type of spray paint did you use?

Thanks!
    Laura

• Tina from A Few Pretty Things said:

This is genious!

• Barbara said:

Really cute.

• Renee said:

Love this idea. I save tins all the time. I will be using them for this project. Thank you!

• morena (author) said:

Hi Laura! I used Krylon’s Ocean Breeze and Banner Red. I use Ocean Breeze on a lot of my projects…such a great color!

• Sheila Moore said:

Love this idea. I too csave my containers thinking I will come up with an idea to reuse them. Thanks for posting this awesome idea.

• Kim said:

This is so cute s definitely will do

• Kathy said:

These are so pretty! Adding the knobs makes all the difference. Finally a use for ALL of those tins I have saved!

• Cindy said:

I did something similar… I added the word “Treats” and some doggie paw prints and use it for dog treats. Now she knows to listen for the shaking tin to come get her treat!

• Dollar Store Crafts » Blog Archive » Tutorial: Fabric Covered Tins said:

[...] too long ago, I showed you how to repurpose old tins into fun storage containers.  While I loved the end result, it didn't feel "done" to me.  I love [...]

• Betty819 said:

My DH is a diabetic and we keep the immediate diabetic supplies on the dining room table whee we have our meals..Right now, the needles for taking BS and giving insulin, I have in a plastic pencil pouch that I found at “A” Dollar store for $1..the extra needles are kept in the kitchen cabinet..I was thinking of buying some clear glass apothecary jars and keeping them in there, but this would be even better. Colorful and eye of sight of nosy eyes. I have one can the size of the Pirouline can that coffee came in that my neighbor gave me. The knobs, are they wood, china or metal? I have MS chalkboard labels that I could use too.
    Thanks for the inspiration.

• heather said:

@betty819 – great idea! The knobs used here are painted wood, but any knob you like would work.