Home » $5 and Under, cheap crafts, Decor, Gifts to Make, Headline, Tutorials

Tutorial: Decorative Recycled Glass Jars

12 March 2013 9,495 views 13 Comments

by morena

Decorative Recycled Jars

I mentioned in this post that I like to stock up on the cute little birds that Dollar Tree brings out in the spring.  I've made several things with these birds, like a faux pewter dish and a jewelry tray.  Well, the birds are back for another project:  recycled decorative jars!  These adorable containers are easy and inexpensive to make, and they're perfect for gift giving or storage.

Pink Bird Jar

• Glass Jars, on hand
  • Birds, $1
  • Acrylic Flowers, $1 and up
  • Glue, one hand
  • Spray paint, on hand or $1 and up

Total:  $2 and up

Decorative Jar Tutorial

Step one:  Clean your jars and remove the labels.  I was able to wash the label off my tomato sauce jar, but the Frappucino jar required some Goo Gone to remove the residue.

Step two:  Glue the bird onto the lid of the jar.  My birds had wire legs that I removed.

Step three:  (optional) I like to add little flowers under the bird.  It just seems to finish off the "look".  Glue the flowers in place.  I used E-6000.  Allow it to dry.

Step four:  Spray paint the bird and the lid.

Red Bird Jar

Recycled Glass Jar

I think these bird topped decorative jars would look great filled with Cadbury chocolate eggs for Easter.    Another idea is to fill them with bath salts for a pretty mother's day or teacher appreciation gift.  What else might you do with them?

Bird topped jars

• Barbara said:

These are so cute. just want you to know how happy I am to have found your site! And, I voted for you guys. You are so creative!

• Theresa said:

Hi Morena, I am a huge fan of your bird projects & would love to make my own. However, I cannot seem to find them on the dollar tree site :-(

• SFLAG said:

How lovely and tasteful! Great idea for little gift jars, recycled baby food jars for instance.

• Casey said:

What a great idea for Spring!

• Rene S said:

This is really neat! I can see having one of these in the bathroom filled with cotton balls.

• Amy’s Notebook 03.20.13 | The Motherload said:

[…] recycled glass jars with little bird toppers from the dollar store are an inexpensive nod to Spring (@ dollar store […]

• Lois Roberson said:

what about just spraying the lids and leaving the bird and flowers if they are a pleasing color already?

• 20 Ways to Repurpose your Trash said:

[…] Decorative Recycled Glass Jars @ Dollar Store Crafts  […]

• Dollar Store Crafts » Blog Archive » Father’s Day Gift Idea: Make a Business Card Holder said:

[…] was stalking checking my local Dollar Tree for more of the adorable birds I like to use in my crafts when I found these rooster figures.  The rooster was cool, the crazy […]

• Liberty said:

What kind of spray paint did you use ? Dose it chip?

• heather said:

@Liberty, you can use any kind of spray paint, and it shouldn’t chip. I recommend NOT using the $1 spray paint as it takes a few coats, and doesn’t look as good. You save money in the long run with the name brand spray paint (usually about $3 a can).

• Laura L. said:

These are adorable. Where do you find the tiny Flowers?? I would love to make these for our home, I find them very lovely : ) These would make a beautiful wedding gift, Christmas gift. When the holidays coming soon, I am really thinking about making these, but unsure if I can find the birds in November.

Laura L.