Home » $5 and Under, cheap crafts, Headline, Office Crafts, Tutorials

Tutorial: Ombre Glass Magnets and Push Pins

3 September 2013 11,349 views 11 Comments

by morena

Ombre Glitter Glass Push Pins

Several months ago, I explained how to "crack" glass floral stones (tutorial here).  It's an inexpensive, easy project that's fun to do.  I like to use fine glitter to create a sparkly ombre effect on the glass.   Dollar Tree carries small multi packs of glitter that are already color coordinated, so it takes the guesswork out for you.  I turned my ombre cracked glass stones into magnets and pushpins.

Ombre Glitter Glass Magnet

• Glass Floral Stones, $1
  • Glitter, $1
  • Magnets and/or Thumb tacks, on hand
  • Double sided tape, on hand
  • Glue, on hand
  • Dimensional Magic, on hand or $3

Total:  $2 and up

Supplies

Step one:  Make the cracked glass stones, as explained in this tutorial.

Ombre Glass Tutorial

Step two:  Cut a piece of double sided tape to fit the back of the stone.  Press it onto the stone.

Step three:  Pour the glitter onto the double sided tape.  I started with the lightest color and progressed to the darkest color, to create an ombre effect.

Step four:  Seal the glitter with the Dimensional Magic.

Step five:  Glue a thumb tack or magnet to the back of the stone.

DIY Glitter Glass Pins

Isn't the effect pretty?  I think the pink/purple combo looks like a space galaxy.  The smaller stones that I used for the pushpins would make beautiful earrings, and the larger stones would make fun statement rings.  You could use different colors of glitter to match holidays or even school colors.  Have fun crafting and creating!

DIY Cracked Stone Magnets

• Lia ~ Smart n Snazzy said:

These are so incredible, I will be making them asap!

• Michelle L said:

Oooh, those look so luxe! Love them to bits, Morena!

• Stephanie said:

These would be perfect for my daughter locker! Thanks for sharing!

• Julie said:

I keep looking for the glitter packs at my dollar tree. I assume they’d be by the arts and crafts section, but are they maybe somewhere unexpected?

• morena (author) said:

Sometimes they are in the kid’s crafts section instead. I don’t find it every visit, so keep checking or check different DTs. Good luck!

• Serena said:

This is such a cool follow-up to the cracked glass tutorial. The results look more complicated than one would guess.

• Chelsea said:

They look like little solar systems – how pretty!

• Marcia said:

You could use glitter nail polish for the same effect

• Dollar Store Crafts » Blog Archive » Tutorial: DIY Wrapped Wire Charms said:

[…] this post I showed how to use Dimensional Magic and glitter to transform glass pieces.  Now I'm going to […]

• Brenda said:

Wow ~ thank you for sharing both tutorials! I love the internet for this very reason!

• sherry said:

what is this dimensional magic you are talking about