I love a hot drink as much as Carrie Poppy, but those fancy coffee and tea drinks are crazy expensive. You can save a lot of money this fall and winter by making your own hot drinks at home. Bonus: since you’re cooking from scratch, you can control the ingredients. That means you can make your hot drinks healthier than the coffee shop variety, too!
1. Pumpkin Spice Latte – A homemade pumpkin spice latte is cheaper and healthier than the coffee shop variety.
2. Mexican Hot Chocolate – Cocoa, schmocoa. Mexican hot chocolate is like cocoa on deliciousness steroids. Deliciousness steroids are a thing, right?
3. Salted Caramel Frappuccino – Don’t spend $5 or $6 at the coffee shop on a sugar drink when you can make a healthier, less pricey version at home that’s arguably more delicious! x
4. Turkish Coffee – You normally need a special pot to brew Turkish coffee, but you can do it at home in a saucepan with this technique.
5. Hot Buttered Rum – Okay, so this isn’t a coffee drink. But what’s better than a cozy mug of booze on a chilly fall evening?
6. Homemade Chai Tea – Make spicy, sweet chai at home with this hand-mixed chai recipe. Just steep it until it’s nice and strong, then add your milk and sweetener of choice.
7. Peppermint Drinking Chocolate – Is it too soon for pepperminty hot drinks? I say never!
8. Homemade Pour-Over – A Chemex is a bit of an up-front investment, but if you think about how many expensive pour-overs you’d have to buy to break even, you end up saving money in the end.
9. Homemade Frothed Milk – Whether you choose soy, almond, cow, or coconut milk, a little frothing elevates a regular cup of coffee to fancy coffee level. And you can froth your own in the microwave! What! Shake some cinnamon on top, and call it an Americano.
10. Mulled Cider – Are you tempted by pricey mugs of mulled cider? Here’s how to mull your own with made-from-scratch mulling spices.