Home » $10 and Beyond, Decor, Headline, High Concept

Make a Sweater Sleeve Lamp

27 May 2009 11,822 views 6 Comments

Use a recycled plastic container and a cast-off sweater sleeve to a unique pendant lamp. Industrial designer Sara Ebert made this lamp as part of Pratt's Design for a Dollar contest for the International Contemporary Furniture Fair. [More about this lamp project at Inhabitat]

I love the use of the recycled apple juice bottle for this project. I have been meaning to make a sweater-covered hanging lamp since I saw this project by Lucy Turner, but I never actually considered how I would add shape to the lamp. (I was just thinking of removing fabric from a barrel-shaped lampshade and stretching a thrifted sweater over it). I also never got past the thinking about it stage! This project seems even simpler and more straightforward - so simple that I want to run out to the home improvement store to pick up some pendant lamp kits. It would be super cute to make a group of these with individual serving-size drink containers, too (just so long as the light bulb used was low-heat).
To make: felt a wool sweater, cut off the sleeve, stretch it over a recycled and cleaned clear drink container, insert light kit.

• Old sweater, $1 and up
  • Recycled juice container, on hand or $1 and up
  • Light kit, $5 and up

Total: $6 and up

• Jeris said:

Do you use a glass or plastic juice container? I love the look of this but am concerned about it being a fire hazard! What type of bulb did you use?

thanks for the idea!

@Jeris I didn’t make it but I think a plastic juice container was used. I believe compact fluorescent lights give off little heat, although you would need to research it before you made the project!

• michal said:

Hi. I made one for my own:
    Seriously. Great inspiration and because Im a man I need woman`s eye and maybe some sweaters. Anyway it looks cool.

• 10 Pretty Pendant Lights · Home and Garden @ CraftGossip said:

[…] 5. Egg Carton Pendant Light 6. Large String Globe 7. Kate’s Sculptural Pendant Lights 8. Sweater Sleeve Lamp 9. Tulle Pendant Light 10. Waxed Paper […]

• Amanda said:

Hi Heather! I just wanted to stop by and let you know that I linked to this post today from the Home & Garden channel at Craft Gossip. :)

Your feature will appear in the main Craft Gossip RSS feed, on the main home page and can be found directly here

If you would like a “featured by” button, you can grab one here!

• Kevin - DIY Dork said:

This lamp is right up my alley! The only thing I wonder is how the lamp kit was inserted & how the heat escapes… ? Will have to play around with that & find out I guess.

Oh, and Michal’s “manly” version was hilarious! :-)