Home » $1 and Free, From Our Readers, Headline, supplies

Hack your Crochet Hooks

16 July 2009 20,108 views 10 Comments

comforthooks

Attention Crocheters! Here's a nifty crochet hook hack from reader Red Paper Umbrella. Spend just a dollar to upgrade all your crochet hooks to comfort-style hooks using pencil grips from the dollar store. Back-to-School supplies are hitting shelves already, so now's a great time to do this project. [project instructions here]

Update Sept 2010: The Red Paper Umbrella page has completely disappeared off the face of the web, so the basic instructions are:

Wrap the bottom of your crochet hook with masking tape until it's about the width of a pencil. Slide two pencil grips onto hook.

• Pencil grips, $1
  • Masking tape, on hand or $1
  • Crochet hooks, on hand

Total: $1 and up

• Kitten Muffin said:

I didn’t know these grips were at the dollar store. I’ll be picking some up if they are next time I go. I said no to a pack of grips like this that were three dollars last week. My four year old wanted to cut them up and make necklaces with them.

• Jeri said:

That is a really incredible idea – really thinking outside the box.

• RecycleCindy said:

What a cool and frugal idea for spicing up one’s old crochet hooks. I must check my local dollar store and see if they have any of these so I can try it. TFS!

• Angelica Bays said:

::thud::

WOW! How simple, yet Fantastic!
    (and I love the sparkles too ) ;o)

Hey! did you know they have flourescent colors in duct tape??
    I got some at Micheals- but it wasn’t a dollar ;o(

• Bettie said:

They look really cute, but the link for the instructions is not working for me! :-(

• Jennifer R said:

I LUV THESE THEY LOOK SOOO AWESOME!!!!! Im just going to learn how to crochet so i dont know a lot about it but i would love to learn how to. Thank god i have my favorite teacher helping me. She used to own a business so she know a lot about it. I hope i can learn a lot from her.

• nancy said:

i couldn’t down load the instructions.

Wrap the bottom of your crochet hook with masking tape until it’s about the width of a pencil. Slide two pencil grips onto hook.

• Mellissa F said:

I started doing this many years ago with something a lot of you won’t remember. I found some old sponge curlers (the small ones) at a yard sale for 50 cents or so. I took the sponge tube off the curler and used them as grips for my crochet hooks. Great not for looks, but for comfort and prevention of carpal tunnel syndrome. If you ever see any of these hair curlers at a yard sale, grab ‘em and try it out. One tip: If you are going to be covering the size info on your crochet hook, remember to mark the size elsewhere on your hook. I use a piece of a sticky note and cover it with clear tape.

@melissa F – I always used those sponge curlers as a little girl! And guess what, they actually sell them at Dollar Tree too!