Home » $5 and Under, cheap crafts, Decor, Headline, High Concept, Kids, Weddings

Make Folding Paper Lanterns

10 July 2009 41,432 views 8 Comments

Make your own custom paper lanterns with this amazing tutorial by INFUSEDgoods. They're made with popsicle sticks and tissue paper, and lit with a battery-operated tealight. Bonus: the lanterns fold up flat for easy storage! I love them! This looks like such a fun project, plus it's so pretty once it's finished! [click here to download the pdf instructions--click on the word "here" in the post to download]

I love this version of the project, with vertically hanging lanterns. Wouldn't these be pretty for wedding or shower decorations? This would also make a fun sleepover or birthday party project for tweens or teens.

You can find all the supplies you need for this project at the dollar store. Battery-operated tealights are sold two for a dollar at my local dollar store.

• Popsicle sticks. $1
  • Tissue paper, on hand or $1
  • Battery-operated tealights, $1
  • Glue, on hand

Total: $3

• Valerie said:

This is really neat….wish I would have seen this when we were learning about Japan! Still a fantastic project for anytime, I’ll be keeping this in the “busy” box!

Blessings,

Valerie

• Amanda said:

These are fantastic! I really love them hanging vertically like that. This may be my next project for my monthly Crafternoon with friends. Sweet.

• JuxtaPoser said:

I’m going to have my library’s Japanese club kids do this later this month- AWESOME~!

• INFUSEDgoods said:

Glad you like it! Make sure you download the full PDF file so you can be sure you have all the tools and supplies needed before you start. Have fun making them!

• A Vecchioni said:

Super project! Definitely not for little ones, but for ages 10 or 11 and up it’s a great way to spend some quality time making something meaningful. These would make great gifts too.

• Tamicha said:

I have tried several time s to download the directions to make these. Is link working properly?

• d leon said:

hi i have been tryin to download the pdf but i cant seem to do it. is there any way u can email me the directions on how to do this. i would love to use them as centerpieces for my son’s 1st bday party. i would really really appreciate it!

• Beverly said:

The hanging lanterns are very pretty!