Home » $1 and Free, cheap crafts, Decor, Headline, supplies

Make Your Own Crackle Finish (for CHEAP!)

12 May 2010 104,739 views 12 Comments

Wow! I love it when people hack crafts and do specialized techniques with stuff you already have at home. Ann from Make The Best of Things has done just that with her amazing crackle paint technique tutorial. You know how you have to buy special paint to do this crackle technique? Well, guess what, you don't have to buy that special crackle medium anymore because Ann has posted a detailed tutorial about how to do it with a very special school supply. And she tested it on many different surfaces. You might just be my new best friend, Ann! [click here to learn all Ann's secrets of crackle painting] [via]

Let me take a moment to tell you where I found this link. I found this link at a blog that is very reliable for sharing amazing stuff. You should subscribe to this blog: Someday Crafts. Do it now. I'll wait!

And now, back to the discussion about crackle glaze. You might be a mod type of girl, and you might think "I don't do faux finishes like crackle glaze because that's not me." But I know of a situation when you might want to make use of crackle glaze, even if you're not a fan of shabby chic. Ready for it?

Crackle Glaze on Prints: Well, when making art reproductions (like if you download art from the Feed Your Soul project), you can print them on canvas art paper, and then cover them with a layer of crackle medium, and then a very light antiquing glaze. This is what the pro decor companies do to make their art prints look "like the original" and this is something you can do to make your art look more, well, art-like. This is also a technique that could be really good for making dollar store pictures and knick-knacks look more classy (hopefully NOT Klassy with a K!).

• White school glue, $.25/bottle (during back to school sales) -- you probably have this on hand
  • Acrylic paint, $.50/bottle or on hand

Total: FREE and up

• Someday Crafts said:

Thanks for the shout out on my blog! You are just too sweet! I really appreciate the mention and the plug!

• Sharon said:

This is an awesome idea! Thanks for passing it on!

• Teacher Teacher said:

This is a great idea! I love being able to use someone’s creative genius for my own projects. Thanks for all the great posts. I’m becoming quite a fan of dollar store crafts!

• Amanda said:

I’ve used white school or craft glue as crackle medium in a pinch before. I used to crackle A LOT when I had my craft store and did a lot of tole painting, but haven’t in several years. It’s definitely an awesome trick!

• Maureen said:

Thanks to your post I did this on a black picture frame for a birthday gift for my husband. I was unsure how it was going to look at first so I just put it aside and came back later. I love it! Its perfect for what I was hoping for and looks great.

• Damon said:

These are really nice looking. Especially with cheap supplies like Elmer’s glue and paint.

• Dollar Store Crafts » Blog Archive » Reader Question: Ideas for Crackle Painting? said:

[...] You can see the post Larry is referring to here, with a link to the tutorial: [make your own crackle finish] [...]

• Evie said:

Will this work with spray paint or does it have to be regular paint?

@Evie, I don’t know, but we should try and see!

• Darlene said:

This technique is so cool!!! Thanks so much for sharing.

• JoAnn said:

Lovin’ the dollar store tips. Lovin’ the blogging world! Thanks so much for sharing.
    JoAnn

• Dollar Store Crafts » Blog Archive » Tutorial: Face in the Trees for Halloween said:

[…] Step two:  Apply crackle paint over the entire face.  I used Tim Holtz's Crackle Paint in Tea Dye, but you can make your own crackle paint.  DSC has a great tutorial here. […]