Home » $5 and Under, Decor, Headline, High Concept, Tutorials

Make a Pouf from Throw Rugs

7 July 2010 123,393 views 23 Comments

<--  Page 1: Intro and Project Materials

To Make:

Sew the rugs together:

Sew two rugs, right side together, along the fringed side. Make sure they are sewn securely.

Add the third rug to the other side of one of the rugs, sewing right sides together along the fringed side. Make sure the seams are all on the same side of your long rug.

Sew the two ends of the two outside rugs together, sewing right sides together along the fringed side.

You now have a tube. It's a very short tube with very large openings.

Crochet/gather the top of the tube:

Using a medium-large crochet hook and regular acrylic yarn, insert hook in top edge of rug tube and slip stitch around the top of the tube, with a stitch about every half inch. On your second row, decrease by the following method: Draw up a loop in next stitch. Again, draw up a loop in the next stitch. (There should now be 3 loops on the hook.) Yarn over hook. Draw yarn through all 3 loops on the hook. (One decrease made). Draw string as tight as possible between each decrease stitch. Continue around the rug until it's gathered all up. This might take four or five rows around.

For an illustrated guide to decreasing: (How to decrease in single crochet)

If you don't crochet:

Use yarn and a large plastic needle to weave in and out of the edge of the tube, drawing as tightly as possible. Cut a cover for the puckered area out of complimentary-colored circle of felt, wool felt, or a felted sweater and sew over pucker.

Gather the bottom of the tube:

You can gather the bottom of the pouf in the same way as above, but stuff the pouf before the hole gets too small. I actually created a drawstring effect on the bottom of my pouf so I could stuff and unstuff it at will.  Instead of gathering all the way to the center of the circle, I left it open and threaded a string through the edges so I could tie it closed.

Stuffing the pouf:

For the sample, I stuffed it with a large fleece blanket and towels, but you can buy a body pillow and use the stuffing inside it for a cheap alternative to fiberfill. Or stuff it with recycled packing peanuts, or your large collection of plastic grocery sacks (if you don't mind the plastic crinkly sound effect!).

Additional Resources:

Linked up at Decor on a Dime

Pages: 1 2

• Amanda said:

Well done! I think the black and white looks fabulous! :)

• Kathy V. said:

It looks really cute…

• Bromeliad said:

THAT is totally AWESOME! I so admire a good pouf, especially one that only cost $3.

• Elizabeth said:

Thanks so much for linking to my potato print pouf!

• dot said:

ooh, I like!

• Care said:

I love the black and white! The stripes are killer!! If only I knew how to crochet…. :)

• Tutorial: Pouf floor pillow from inexpensive acrylic rugs · Sewing @ CraftGossip said:

[...] Heather from Dollar Store Crafts shows how to turn three inexpensive acrylic rugs into an awesome pouf floor pillow.  These would be great accessories for a teen’s room!  Get the tute. [...]

• Anne said:

Love it!!! We are rehabbbing a room at our church for our youth, and doing it on a shoestring budget. I think you’ve just solved part of our seating issues… Thank you!!

I linked to your tutorial over at Craft Gossip Sewing:

–Anne

@Anne, Honestly, I don’t think these would be good for that – they are a decent amount of work, and they might not hold up to the punishment of being in a youth room!!

• Mich L. said:

Ooh! This is really cool! (Extra thank you for the “if you don’t crochet” version.) What a huge impact for a few measley $’s!

• Vanessa said:

& so stylish!

• amanda primm said:

yes ! im a teen this is totally my thing love it <3

• Pouf from Thrifted Blanket | Decor Hacks said:

[...] year, I made my own pouf out of a woven throw rug, but I like this decor hack much better! Use a thrifted knitted blanket and turn it into a pouf. To [...]

• CraftFail » Blog Archive » Recycled T-Shirt… Bowl? said:

[...] note: you could make it into a pouf! /* posted under General Crafty, Kids, [...]

• Laura said:

I love this but where do you find these throws? i have never seen any at the dollar story and I search onlineand have not been able to find any under 5 like mentioned

Hi Laura,

I found mine at Dollar Tree. If your local store doesn’t have them, you could ask them to special order them. Or check a different store.

Otherwise, if you have an Ikea near you, they should have them for about $2-3.

• Craft Chic Tuesdays: Make a Pouf From Throw Rugs | Casa Diseño LLC said:

[...] Click Here to view the Make a Pouf From Throw Rugs project on Dollar Store Crafts [...]

• Marina de Lima said:

Sensacional!

• 31 Days of Pinterest: DIY pouf said:

[...] 31 Days of Pinterest Inspiration, with a special nod to potential holiday gift-giving.These poufs can be pretty pricey, if you’re looking to buy them in a store. But here’s a version [...]

• Heather said:

I love love love this! It’s so simple and crazy cute! I’m pinning this now and hoping to make one this weekend.

Thanks so much for sharing!

• Pickles said:

Great!

• Nola Cooper said:

Thank you for the tutorial for the pouf. Will try to make this soon!
    regards, Nola

• Inspire Me Heather said:

I love how your pouf turned out, what a fabulous idea using the rugs too! I’ve got this linked to my poufs DIY post as well today!