Home » $10 and Beyond, Headline, Holiday Crafts, Kids, Wearable Crafts

Homemade Costume Week: Spider

28 September 2010 33,683 views 9 Comments

spider costume

It's Day 2 of Homemade Costume Week at Dollar Store Crafts! This week, I'm bringing you several costume ideas that are simple, no-sew, and frugal, of course! Today's featured costume is the no-sew Spider costume. I used dollar store socks to create the spider's spooky extra legs. I couldn't find a stocking cap at the dollar store when I was working on the costume (high summer), so I used a long sleeve from an old shirt and tied it at the top to create the eight-eyed hat. [get instructions for making the Spider costume at my Kaboose post]

costume sketch - spider

This costume turned out just like the sketch too, but I had to omit the gloves because I couldn't find them in stores in August. I think it would be fun to use white gloves and a bow-tie to make a formal spider. Or, wear a black and red tutu, add a red hourglass on the shirt, and a fancy cocktail hat for a Black Widow costume.

• Black long-sleeved shirt, on hand
  • Black stocking cap, $1 or on hand
  • Black duct tape, about $3.50 per roll
  • 2 pairs black socks (4 socks total), $2
  • Black yarn, on hand
  • 8 large wiggle eyes, $1
  • Plastic grocery bags (about 16), on hand

Total: $7.50

• Kathy V. said:

Love all the creative ideas and the very cute model…:-)

• Shannon said:

I like the ideas too…and the model is very cute.

• Michelle L. said:

Total genius, my dear! The eyes are the best part!

• Thi Han Soe said:

Very Good idea! If I will got a child I will make it for them. Like no other.

• Lisa said:

Hi there, I cannot find the instructions for this adorable spider costume. I have tried the link several times. Can you help? Thanks!

@Lisa, Oh yes, Kaboose was absorbed into Spoonful.com, and the link has changed. I’ll look and see what I can find!

• Holly said:

I also cannot find the directions. Can you help? Thank you!

• rhonda said:

@Lisa @ Holly – I couldn’t find a link for it on Spoonful but I did find a similar project: http://www.madincrafts.com/2012/10/last-minute-spider-costume-and.html

Hope that helps!