Home » $5 and Under, cheap crafts, Decor, Headline

Make Faux Wrought Iron Wall Art

14 January 2011 33,591 views 12 Comments

by rhonda

I'm a faux freak.  Taking one material and making it convincingly appear to be something else is a very special talent.  These faux wrought iron trivets made by Suzy of Suzy's Artsy-Craftsy Sitcom are actually made from  —are you ready for this? — toilet paper tubes!  Now, I've seen a lot of TP tube crafts in my time, but nothing I'd really be proud to permanently display in my house.  I just can't get over how elegant these turned out!  [how to make toilet paper tube faux wrought iron wall art]

• Toilet paper tubes, free
  • Balsa wood, about $1.50
  • Glue, on hand
  • Spray paint, on hand or $1 and up

Total:  $1.50 and up

• anonymous said:

why not use the long paper tubes from PAPER TOWELS ????????

• Kelly H said:

Wow! That’s amazing. So smart. I love it!

• Georgette said:

wow this is incredible! turned out lovely!

• Samantha said:

These are amazing, great idea!!

• Suzy Myers said:

Thank you so much for the feature!! I made it on Dollar Store Crafts! You know, I totally live in the dollar store.

Thank you so much!

suzy

• Breanna said:

I am blown away! It’s stunning!

• sarita said:

Holy Cow, it’s freaking toilet paper tubes! It’s gorgeous! I bow to your superior craftiness!

• Lisa O'Donnell said:

I’m with anonymous. Please stop suggesting the toilet paper tubes. Seems to me that the majority of folks that come to your site have kids and everyone knows that kids are pretty messy in all areas of their daily lives, that includes the bathroom. I’m potty training my kid and I find it disgusting that some people actually SAVE AND REUSE these unsanitary “craft” products. Napkin roll tubes are safer, cleaner and a hellavalot more sanitary.

• Bre said:

Wow, that is amazing! I love finding cheap crafts like this. Thanks!

P.S. I don’t see what the big deal is with using toilet paper rolls. It’s not like you’re using the actual roll to wipe! Come on people…

• natalie said:

@lisa o’donell- relax, if you feel that strongly about not re-using items maybe you shouldn’t be on a DIY craft site. The purpose of these blogs are to save money in this harsh time and be creative and to be honest I think you’re the only one having sanitary issues, the rest of the world knows when you’re at the end of a roll you change it and put a new one… How are you potty raining your children exactly?

• Lori said:

Reminds me of the old craft of Quilling! I can so do this!

• Sour Days: Pack Rat Forced to Declutter - Our Lemonade Days said:

[…] of a cardboard dollhouse, the beginnings of a recycled mirror using faux wrought iron frame like this, bags of used wrapping paper and gift bags that we’d been slowly recycling (we hadn’t […]