Home » $1 and Free, Decor, From Our Readers, Headline, Printables, Weddings

Make a Wax Paper Pomander Ball

14 July 2011 45,855 views 17 Comments

by rhonda

Here's a project that just screams "budget wedding!"  Would you believe that this lotus-like pomander ball was made using plain ol' wax paper?  Carolyn from Carolyn's Homework created the feathery, translucent decoration using materials that, in summation, are far more than just the humble parts!  I bet it looks incredible with sunlight shining though it.  If you make more than one of these, try using different size foam balls and varied petal sizes for different effects.  [how to make a wax paper pomander ball]

• Styrofoam ball, $1
  • Wax paper, on hand or $1
  • String, on hand
  • Glue, on hand

Total:  $1 and up

We had a request for a printable leaf template so here you go:

Printable Leaf Template

• smellanie said:

I apologize for my pickiness, but I feel I must say something! This is an absolutely beautiful decoration, but I don’t think it can technically be called a “pomander” if it does not involve something that has an aroma. Unless you really like the smell of wax paper…?

“A pomander, from French pomme d’ambre, i.e. apple of amber, is a ball made of perfumes, such as ambergris (whence the name), musk, or civet.[1] The pomander was worn or carried in a vase, also known by the same name, as a protection against infection in times of pestilence or merely as a useful article to modify bad smells.[1] The globular cases which contained the pomanders were hung from a neck-chain or belt, or attached to the girdle, and were usually perforated and made of gold or silver.[1] Sometimes they contained several partitions, in each of which was placed a different perfume.[1]“

• mikeasaurus said:

One of the few wedding decorations I like, and that it’s DIY with just wax paper is amazing.

• Chelsea said:

Beautiful! Beautiful! Did I say beautiful?

Smellanie, I think you’re absolutely right about the original meaning of the word. However, like so many terms, the term “pomander” has changed and become synonymous with “kissing balls” or any other similar decoration, usually involving a flower or leaf theme (a nod to the “fragrance” factor, I’m guessing.) I would probably have referred to this as a kissing ball. :) Can I just say, too, how awesomely your name and the content of your comment go together?

• Molly said:

If made tiny I think these would look great on a Christmas tree, the little LED lights would make them shine.

• Lyn said:

really pretty!

• cherith said:

Love this idea!

• brenda said:

This is beautiful – think I might try it.
    Brenda

• CraftingMakesMeSane said:

What a cool idea,,, will have to try this one.
    Thanks!

• Ami M said:

Wow, that is just beautiful. Such a great idea.

• wandap said:

love the wax paper pomander ball! does anyone have a template for the leaves and a little more explicit instructions as to putting together…thanks

• wandap said:

I have those instructions, but would like a pattern for the petals. thanks for your fast response..

• heather said:

Okay, your wish has been granted. Check this post for a printable template.

• Angelique said:

How many petals do you think of each size will you need for this?

• Claire said:

Only because I’m obsessed with anything that lights up… I am wondering if one can’t attach a small LED light ( color changing or other) under the layers of wax paper. Or, even hang several within the layers with fishing line. I may have to try this for our July 4th party.
    The simple white does make me incredibly happy though! Thank you for the post and the template!

• Samantha said:

Ooooh Molly! You just gave me an awesome idea! What if you would wrap lights around the ball before glueing the wax paper on? Plug it in and…beautiful! I am totally going to try it!

• Kimberly said:

How cool!! My mind just flashed to doing this project, but with a Christmas tree shaped cone and maybe a few snips of the shears for additional leaf effect. Or as a real cool center piece using a terracotta planter, bamboo skiers and small styrofoam balls for a nice topiary, maybe add a few straight pens with colored heads for the whimsy of it!

Thank you for the creative springboard!