Home » $1 and Free, Food Crafts, Headline, Party Crafts

Mind-Blowing Cake Decorating Tip

16 September 2011 1,137,147 views 178 Comments

decorate cupcakeWelcome to Dollar Store Crafts - the internet's original site for all Dollar Store Crafts! Keep track of us and never miss another awesome dollar store craft idea:

Follow us on Pinterest!
Dollar Store Crafts on Pinterest

Become a Fan:
Dollar Store Crafts on Facebook

Subscribe for weekly Dollar Store Craft-Inspiration

You might also enjoy our most popular posts:
Pottery-Barn Knockoff Mirror for $11

This Mind-Blowing Cake Decorating Tip Changed My Life

I am not much of a cook, but I like everything that has to do with baking -- as long as it's easy. (Doesn't sound much different than my philosophy of crafting, does it??) I love making cakes and cupcakes, and I think homemade frosting tastes best, BUT I have avoided making my own frosting for the past couple years for one reason. I HATE filling and cleaning icing bags! It's such a mess, and it never quite works as well as I want it to, and it's just generally a nuisance. Instead, I usually buy those readymade frosting sprayers at the grocery store because it just seems easier.

No more. I have found the greatest trick for filling icing bags! This idea is so mindblowing that I actually said "WOW" out loud when I watched this video by Karen's Cookies. Then I made my husband watch the video, and he agreed that it was an awesome tip. You will never avoid using an icing bag again! Thanks to Ashley Newman, who found this video. Watch it below to learn the secret.

• Icing bag & tips, on hand
  • Plastic wrap, on hand

Total: Free

Photo Credit: Passion for Flowers, licensed via creative commons

• Erts said:

Wow! This is super cool….. thank you so much will save me a lot of time. Godd Bless!!!!

• Lindy said:

This video was made by my friend, Karen of http://www.karenscookies.net. I really think she should recieve a little more credit and a link to her website!

• Paula said:

I really don’t have much experience in decorating cakes so thank you very much for sharing this!

• Elise said:

Holy cow!! You’re a genius! Thank you!

• Serena said:

What can I say that hasn’t been already said? Thanks so much for sharing this great tip! No need to fear messy pastry bags and clean-ups anymore!

• Sara said:

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I made a rainbow birthday cake this morning. This probably saved me hours of time, and certainly my sanity. By the 4th color I didn’t even clean the tip. I just squeezed a test pipe onto a paper towel until the color came out clear. Thanks for posting.

• Imjacobsmom said:

THANK YOU!!!

• sheila said:

I would love to give you a great big hug right now. Too bad I hadn’t seen this awesome video a few days ago when I made my icing flowers for Easter cakes. I could have saved myself a ton of work and mess. Nevertheless this trick is soooo cool that I will remember to use it next time. Thanks for sharing!!!

• Alice said:

Can you use this trick with out a coupler? I often use larger tips without couplers and would love to try this but really love the larger tips.

@Alice, I’m not sure. You’ll have to try it and let us know.

• Alice said:

So I decided before I even tried, it probably won’t work without the coupler as the openings won’t be big enough. Off to get a larger coupler! Thanks.

• Alice said:

I used this method today – fabulous!

• Keli said:

This is the best!! Thank you do much for sharing! I am the helper for
    My 11 year old daughter that has taken up decorating. For the tips
    Without a coupler I snip it off close to the end and drop it in. Works
    Great also. Not as much washing of the bags and my hands stay frosting
    Free!

• 12 “Why Didn’t I Think of That?” Tips | Positively Splendid {Crafts, Sewing, Recipes and Home Decor} said:

[…] I never cease to marvel at the sheer abundance of amazingly useful information available on the internet. Every once in a while, I stumble upon an idea that makes me stop and think, “Now why didn’t I think of that?” In today’s By the Dozen feature, I’m passing along twelve of these tips that are simple, no-nonsense ways to streamline various aspects of your life!one. Piping Bag Trick @ Dollar Store Crafts via Karen’s Cookies […]

• Nueyer said:

That’s definitely a wow!!!

• Debra Pickenpaugh said:

WOW…SO GOING TO SHOW MY AUNT THIS :) SHE WILL BE HAPPY:)

• Easiest Way to Fill and Clean a Cake Decorating ‘Icing’ Bag | Feathering the Empty Nest said:

[…] such tip I just found comes from Karen’s Cookies. I watched this video of a great trick for filling, using and cleaning cake decorating bags – […]

• steph said:

This is the coolest thing. I usually just make my kids wash them out. I know, I know, child labor.. laziness.. but whatever. It still makes a mess though. This is probably the coolest trick I’ve seen when it comes to cake decorating and I will be using it very often.

• Vernell’s Birthday Cake | Non Est Ad Astra Mollis E Terris Via. said:

[…] (seriously, mixing up the colors of frosting took more time than the decorating itself, but I used this fantastic technique for filling the frosting bags and it was hugely helpful!), I think it was a success. But I think […]

• Jennifer said:

WOW!!! This is the ONE thing I think I hate the most about filling/frosting cupcakes and cookies. Thank you for finding this and posting! Much appreciation!

• Shelly said:

It had to be purchased at one point so it’s not free.

• Cherie said:

I wish people would just be thankful when someone gives them a good idea or a hint. As a cake decorator myself, I don’t know if we can really trace everything back to its originator and does it really do something special for the originator to get the credit. I mean, it’s nice but is it going to make a difference if someone else takes the credit? Huh? I mean, be a little more adult would you people? I have done this for over 35 years but you don’t hear me barking about who the originator was and truthfully, I don’t even remember where I got it from but I can tell you — it was a family member. How about them apples ladies?

• Laura said:

I’m from Cookies by Design and have been doing this for over 25 years and it’s a lifesaver! And another little trick if you are using decorating bags that are non-disposable is to use colored hair ties that are the same color as the frosting inside. This way you just grab the bag with the color tie on it instead of trying to look closely at each tip to check which color is inside. And the bands last a long time and won’t snap on you!

@Laura, Love the hair tie tip – that is great!! Thanks for sharing.

• Deena said:

GET OUT OF TOWN!! THAT’S GREAT.

• Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes » Make Something Daily said:

[…] but so clever with no mess and super easy cleanup. If you’re interested here’s the video that shows how its done. The original post I pinned showed the cones baking in a modified […]

• Brandy said:

Wow!!! Thanks so much!!! I have to make a ton of cupcakes AND cookies with icing and this will be a lifesaver!

• Amazing Frosting Tip | Food, Family and Fun said:

[…] This means that I see lots of neat ideas, crafts, tips, and articles each day, and I share them there. However, i just saw a video linked from Pinterest that needed immediate sharing on my blog. If you use frosting tips and bags EVER… watch this video.  (Here’s the source) […]