Home » $5 and Under, cheap crafts, Gifts to Make, Headline

Make $2 Hanging Kitchen Towels

7 December 2011 21,362 views 13 Comments

by rhonda

If anyone on your Christmas wish list spends a lot of time in the kitchen, they will appreciate this quick and easy gift idea.  Breanna at Dollar Store Mom whipped them up from matching pot holders and kitchen towels.  They're so easy to make that she only spent about 10 minutes on the pair!  The loop on the pot holder becomes a button hole, securing the towel to your oven handle, a towel bar, or anywhere else you want it to stay put.  You'll never have to pick your towels up off the floor again!  [how to make $2 hanging kitchen towels]

• Pot holder, $1
  • Kitchen towel, $1
  • Button, on hand
  • Sewing notions, on hand

Total:  $2

• JessA said:

How clever! I think I need to make these for myself!!

• Rhonda @ Abide at Home said:

Okay, this I love!! Even a poor seamstress, such as myself, should be able to manage this one!! What a great idea. Currently most of my towels end up on the floor because of little fifteen-month old hands…. Thanks for the idea – I’m pinning this!

• Margot said:

Great idea, my towels are always ending up on the floor!

• breanna said:

thanks for linking up Rhonda!

• Angie said:

These are wonderful! I made a set for home because the dogs are always knocking the towel on the floor. They were so cute and simple, I made a set for my mother and one for my mother-in-law for Christmas! Thank you!

• dolly said:

Rhonda…what do you do if the loop is too short to fit over the button?

• Brenda said:

What a great idea, I am alway having my two granddaughters,age 17 months, running off with my kitchen towels, they think it’s fun to have grandma run them down for my towels. No more fun running for this grandma :)
    Thanks for posting this :) :) :) :)

• Lynn H said:

Please be careful when attaching these to your oven doors if you have crawlers and toddlers around. When they pull up on the towel the door will come down and bop them on the head.
    Please don’t ask me how I know!!!!!!!!

• rhonda (author) said:

@Dolly – You could try smaller buttons, or look for potholders with bigger loops, or make new loops with ribbon. It looks like the ones that Breanna at Dollar Store Mom used to make hers have a nice button-to-loop size ratio, but every situation is different. Don’t be afraid to experiment!

• dolly said:

Rhonda…Thanks for the feedback. When I bought my potholders I didn’t give a thought about the loops being too short. I’ll figure something out to fix the ones I have but next time I’ll make sure the loops are longer. Thanks again. Have a good one.

• Anne said:

I was thinking….if you attached a potholder to the other end just like you did the top…it could be like those potholders that Rachel Ray uses on her cooking show….

• Gerri said:

I have made similar ones by folding the pot holder into a triangle. Then fold the dish towel in half lengthwise and run a continuous seam and gather it to the length of the folder pot holder. I sew on the button and use the loop from the potholder tp attach it to my oven door. This way there are two sides to dry your hands. This makes a great gift and sells well at craft shows!

• heather said:

@Gerri, Your version sounds great. i would love to see a photo!