Home » $1 and Free, Decor, Headline, High Concept

Turn a Rubber Door Mat into Wall Art

31 January 2012 78,094 views 16 Comments

by rhonda

Turn a dollar store floor mat into faux wrought iron wall art - why didn't I think of that?

Kate from Salvage Dior had been searching for an antique, scroll-y iron piece to hang on her wall as art.  Unfortunately, she couldn't find one in her price range.  Then one day she came across a fancy rubber door mat at the dollar store and had a brilliant idea!  Would you ever guess that it's actually a door mat?  It's a great way to add drama and vintage charm to your decor without paying a premium price, and since the door mat is much lighter than an actual iron piece, it won't require special hardware to hang.  [how to turn a rubber door mat into wall art] Project estimate:

• Fancy rubber door mat, $1 and up
  • Spray paint, on hand or $1 and up
  • Sandpaper, on hand or $1

Total:  $1 and up

• Katie said:

I love this idea!!! Brilliant! I would have never thought to make something like this!

• abbie said:

Seriously!! It’s incredible!

• Amy said:

I would like to know what Dollar Store has these mats? All the ones that I have checked out do not carry them. I looked on line for inexpensive ones and they are still around 35.00

• Kristi said:

I found my mat at Lowe’s for $20. It is pretty good size. I used textured spray paint and I LOVE how it turned out!! Thanks for the idea!

• Margo DeGange said:

Really clever. I think this door mat “wall art” would be perfect for a backyard patio. Even if you couldn’t get the mat at a dollar store, you can find them cheap enough at big box stores.

I pinned it. Thanks for sharing!

Margo

• Sara Campbell said:

I am a face painter in orange county and im always spray painting decore for my booths. I never knew what to do with all the left over spray cans. I had a few of these mats so i did one in each color! i would have never thought! they are hanging in my garden!

• Dee Bgg said:

Love thisproject. Can’t wait to try it.

• Faye said:

Hi, I used your pic and linked your blog on my blog today, I hope that is OK, if not please let me know and I will remove it.

Faye

• Kelly said:

You could probably hang stuff on it, too!

• Lori said:

Brilliant! I have been looking for something architectural to put above the TV. I think I will try cutting the scroll out and hanging.

• Dollar Store Crafts » Blog Archive » The Best of DSC: Top 12 Posts of 2012 said:

[...] Sometimes all it takes to come up with an amazing project is to think entirely outside of the box.  That's how Kate at Salvage Dior ended up turning a fancy welcome mat into some equally fancy wall art!  It has the look of antique wrought iron, but it is far more lightweight than its metal counterpart and therefore much easier to hang.  [how to turn a rubber door mat into wall art] [...]

• Stephanie Bingham said:

So how do you hang this up? So awesome!

• Blog Spotlight: Dollar Store Crafts with Heather Mann | Cheap Ways To ... said:

[...] Heather’s a wealth of creativity on a budget. Some of my favorite finds are her website are: Turning a Rubber Door Mat into Wall Art, Black & White Wedding Decor Ideas (she has more wedding content on her site too), and the [...]

• DIY Dollar Store Wall Art @ My-House-My-HomeMy-House-My-Home said:

[…] Found Here: dollarstorecrafts.com […]

• Sarah said:

I’m going to use this idea to make a headboard!How perfect since you can lean against it comfortably! Finally I can afford the look I want :-D Thank you!

• Kanina C. said: