Home » $10 and Beyond, Fashion, Headline, Wearable Crafts

Make a Resin Butterfly Necklace

28 February 2012 3,388 views 6 Comments

resin butterfly necklace

I have tried resin, and it is such a cool product, but it is definitely not one for beginners! There's a learning curve in using it, and you will probably have some craftfails along the way. That said, Carmi Cimicata over at Resin Crafts has created a very cool resin butterfly necklace, using resin to reinforce a feather butterfly she found at the dollar store. By painting the butterfly with resin, Carmi made it sturdy enough to hold up to repeated wearings. [how to make a resin butterfly necklace]

You will want to get your 40% off coupon out when you buy your resin, but it is a rewarding medium to work with. Once you create your resin butterfly, you can hang it from a necklace you already own, or have fun making a custom necklace to go with your new pendant. Oh, and you will be able to make a lot of jewelry with one box of 2 part resin!

• Feather butterfly, $1
  • Resin, $8 and up
  • Jewelry findings, $1 and up

Total: $10

• Heather's Mom said:

beautiful!

• Michelle L. said:

Love that butterfly – what a great way to transform something floppy like feathers!

• Isabel said:

Went to my dollar store and did not find the butterfly. But will visit other Dollar Stores to look for them. I make jewelry and this just inspired me to do some.

• Loretta said:

Super cute! I’ll be keeping an eye out for some butterflies on my next trip to Dollar Tree, I think this would be fun for my niece.

• Carmi Cimicata said:

Thanks for showing my project. I think I will be glazing a few more butterflies in resin this year!
    Carmi

• Kathryn said:

An alternative that might be cheaper and much less intimidating than using resin as you don’t have to mix anything, although not nearly as sturdy would be to use a few coats of Mod Podge Dimensional Magic (I have purchased at Hobby Lobby using a 40% coupon for around $3.60, but I am sure it is available elsewhere).

I have used a it on several projects and still have half a bottle left. In using it is important to note not to shake the bottle as you will get air bubbles and if you get any bubbles in your project to smooth them out immediately or it will dry unevenly with a divot, not to use too much on at a time and let dry completely before putting on another coat.