Today we are going to learn how to make duct tape-covered pumpkins with duct tape roses. This project is so easy even a child can do it — in fact, my six year-old son Lewis made a video to show you just how easy it is to make this fun Halloween decoration. The duct tape flowers are only slightly intermediate, but oh, so fun. Add buttons or rhinestones in the center to add a whimsical touch.
Now is the time to check your dollar store for Halloween decorations. Why so early? Because the good stuff sells out quickly — like these carvable foam pumpkins. I didn’t even see these in the dollar store last year because they sold out so quickly!
- Foam pumpkin, $1
- Duct tape, on hand or $3 and up
- Scissors, on hand
- Buttons, on hand or $1 and up
- Hot glue gun and glue sticks, on hand
Total: $1 and up
Make the Duct Tape Pumpkin:
1. Cut short strips of duct tape and begin covering the pumpkin from the stem and down the side of the pumpkin. Lay a strip down, and then smooth edges as well as you can. Don’t worry, it doesn’t have to be perfect.
2. Overlap each strip until the pumpkin is completely covered.
3. If desired, cover stem with a contrasting color of duct tape.
How to Make Duct Tape Flowers:
Note: If this part seems confusing when you’re reading it, please refer to the video above for video instructions.
1. Cut a piece of duct tape about 9 inches long.
2. Fold about 2/3 of the way up the piece of tape so you have a long piece of duct tape with about 1/2″ of exposed adhesive. You are going to use the sticky part to make the pleats for the flower.
3. Begin to pleat the piece of tape at one end by pinching a bit of tape about every half inch, and flattening the pinch down on the sticky part of the tape. Keep pleating all the way down the tape.
4. When you have the whole piece of tape pleated, curl it up into a flower shape.
5. Use hot glue to affix a button to the center of the flower. Use hot glue to glue duct tape flowers onto the pumpkin.
Many thanks to my sponsor Scotch Duct Tape, who graciously provided me with tape and compensation in order to bring you this project tutorial! Scotch just launched a new line of duct tape: over 10 colors, 16 patterns and 10 combo packs of Scotch Colors and Patterns Duct Tape.
Take the Style that Sticks quiz: Take this fun quiz at Scotch Duct Tape’s Site — answer 3 questions that lead you to your personal style (Glamorous, Traditional or Trendy) and patterns and projects that align with that style. In addition to recommending fun and unique DIY projects, along with select duct tapes, the quiz ends with an option to enter your email address to win one of hundreds of free combo pack samples every day.
This post is a collaboration with Scotch Colors and Patterns Duct Tape, whose celebration of unique personal style led to this post.