Home » $5 and Under, Headline, Holiday Crafts

Make a Melted Snowman Christmas Ornament

8 November 2012 29,015 views 11 Comments

by rhonda

Make a melted snowman ornament (via dollarstorecrafts.com)

This Christmas ornament literally made me laugh out loud when I first saw the photo.  It's the remnants of a melted snowman!  Adorable, right?  Maggie from Eyeballs By Day, Crafts By Night made them using mainly items that you probably have in your pantry.  Salt and pepper have never, ever looked this cute before.  Her version of this ornament suits an aesthetic that prefers things simple; for different looks she has some fun suggestions for other things you could add to the bulb as well.  [how to make a melted snowman Christmas ornament]

• Clear bulb Christmas ornaments, $1 and up
  • Salt, on hand
  • Peppercorns, on hand or $1
  • Polymer clay, about $2

Total:  about $3 and up

• Maggie said:

Thanks so much for featuring my Melted Snowman! They are so easy to make and a huge hit with family and friends! They also make great craft show sellers! Gotta LOVE dollar store crafts! :) ~Maggie

• Mixed Kreations said:

What a cute idea. This must be a Texas snowman LOL

• Cristina said:

That makes me smile!
    So cleaver.

• Melissa said:

I work at a daycare and came up with this too last year as gifts. Parents loved it! I went a step forward and added a little hat, red felt scarf, orange pipe cleaner for nose, two brown pipe cleaners for arms…. all inside and then hanging inside from the top I hung a little sign with ribbon that said “Melted in 2012″. (so the year made was visable) And I used sparkeling glitter for the snow.

Its easy and fun making them!! ;)

• heather said:

@Melissa, I LOVE your additions!! The “melted in 2012″ sign is genius!

• C said:

Wouldn’t a melted snowman be water?

• Terri said:

Aaaagh. Too cute. Gotta make some. I think my high school daughter will want to make these for her friends too.

• Suzy Q said:

I just completed my version of this awesome idea. I ripped old flannel and tied that to the top for a scarf.I also just used orange paperstock to roll a nose from. I love how we can all can personalize these and just add to look of it.thanks for sharing the idea!!

• Tara said:

My kids absolutely loved making these!! :)

• 25 Days of DIY Christmas – Day 2: Ornaments said:

[…] MELTED SNOWMAN ORNAMENT via Dollar Store Crafts […]

• Leslie said:

The kids and I had a blast doing this project! They loved collecting tiny stick for the arms as well… they made a perfect addition. I also added glow in the dark glitter to the salt- looks VERY cool at night! And one more change- I used Kosher salt which is cheap, comes in bulk and looks more like fluffy snow.