Home » $5 and Under, cheap crafts, Decor, Headline, Printables, Tutorials

Tutorial: DIY Poster Wall Art

5 February 2013 5,447 views 8 Comments

by morena

DIY Poster wall art

I was looking for wall art to hang in my kids' playroom when I found John W. Golden's posters.  I've been a long time fan of his Etsy shop, and while I loved the idea of his "order of the management" posters, I couldn't find one that said what I wanted to convey.  I feel like I spend enough of my day reminding my kids to play nice and clean up, and I wanted the playroom wall art to say something more whimsical and silly.  I chose favorite quotes from books and a well known movie line to make some very inexpensive wall art.

Poster Wall Art DIY

• Foam core board, $1
  • Engineer print, about $3
  • Tape, on hand
  • Paint, on hand
  • Mod Podge, on hand

Total: about $4

diy poster wall art tutorial

To make your own poster wall art:

Step one: Design your poster or download mine here.

Step two: Print it at Staples as an engineering print.  Tell them to size the image 20 by 30 inches.  This is the size of the foam poster board at Dollar Tree.

Step three: Use double sided tape to adhere the print to the foam board. Trim off excess.

Step four: Paint the edges black.

Step five: Seal the poster with a very thin layer of Mod Podge. I used the antique formula to give it an aged look.

poster art 3

I simply nailed the posters onto the wall.  Everyone who comes into the room reads them and has a little laugh.  This project is so easy and inexpensive to make that I can change them whenever I want.  What favorite quote would you put on your custom wall art poster?

make your own wall art

• Marti said:

I don’t have anywhere to put posters right now, but I love these. I’ll have to keep my eye open for a place to put them so I can try this. Thanks for the tutorial.

• Amy Anderson said:

Mod Podge??? That’s what I’m talking about. Love this project Morena!

• Adrianne at Happy Hour Projects said:

Oh man… I just got all kinds of Valentine ideas for my husband with your “use the Force” suggestion. ;) Thanks for sharing a fun idea!!

• Ashley @ The Freckled Redhead said:

These came out great! I love the aged modge podge I’ve never used that before but I love the way it made the posters look!

• Heather @ Real Cheap Housewives of Texas said:

I love the posters! I’m gonna copy you :)

• Teresa said:

I love these! I’m going to make some for my office. I would have never thought about the engineering print. :)

• Staci (Crafty Staci) said:

I need the first one…the word rumpus is not used often enough! ;-)

• Linda said:

This is a great tip. I knew about printing out at Staples but I’ve only done it once. Thanks for the printables. Linda Following you also.

Would love to have you add this to What to Do Weekends Party, also.