Home » $10 and Beyond, Headline, Holiday Crafts, Kids, Tutorials

Tutorial: Floating Photo Ornament

17 December 2013 3,154 views 7 Comments

by morena

Make a Floating Photo Ornament

You may have most of your holiday shopping done by now, but maybe you're still looking for something special for that white elephant exchange at work, or something for that friend who is hard to shop for.  How about a unique ornament that no one else will have?

When I saw the post about these crystal balls, I was inspired to put my own photos inside clear ornaments, rather than stock graphics.  My kids had fun posing for the pictures, and they laugh at their unique ornaments.  I think these ornaments would be equally (if not more entertaining) if you were to use the photo of a favorite celebrity, sports team, or any other personality.

DIY Silly Ornament

• Clear ornament, $1
  • Printable Transparency Film, about $5 and up
  • Photos, on hand
  • Printer, on hand
  • Ribbon, on hand
Total:  about $6
Step one:  Take a photo of your child, and ask them to imagine that they are trapped in a bubble.
Juliana
Step two:  Use photo editing software to erase the background.  I used a free online program called PicMonkey.
Step three:  Print the images on transparency paper.
trace
Step four:  Trace a circle around the photo.  Make the circle slight smaller than the size of the ornament.
roll film
Step five:  Roll the image up to insert it into the ornament.
Trapped in ornament DIY
Add a ribbon and display your funny ornament! If you don't want to be humorous, these would look beautiful with a special moment captured inside.  I think wedding pictures would look awesome in an ornament.  What picture will you capture for the holidays?

• Ashley said:

These are so cool!!

*Pinning*

• rose said:

Where do I get transparent film or can I get office max to do it? Thanks I’m so excited to do these!!

• morena (author) said:

You can find the transparencies at any office supply store. Have fun crafting!

• morena (author) said:

Thank you!

• R Bradford said:

you can also use the plastic ornaments that you can break in half and put use one half of the ornament as a template to size your circle to cut out then sandwich the transparency in between the 2 half of the ornament and snap the 2 pieces together…….you can find those plastic ornaments at hobby lobby and michaels…

• kim said:

anyone have problems with them smearing?

• Morena said:

R, I did purchase an ornament like that but it had an iridescent finish that made it hard to see the picture. I’ll have to find a clear one as that would be easier!

Kim, the sheets I used are made for home printers, and did not smear. The side you print on is a little rough and holds the ink.