10 Hacks for Crafty Photographers
by Becky Striepe
Whether you're looking to improve your lighting situation or just need a camera strap that's a little big less boring, we've got some DIY tricks for photographers of any skill level.
One thing that camera equipment tends to have in common is a hefty price tag. If you're a photographer on a budget like I am, I'm betting that you spent all of your funny money on that new DSLR and don't have much left for a fancy case or accessories. Try some of these DIY solutions to save some money and up your game.
1. Padded Lens Case - If you have a fancy camera with more than one lens, this is a great DIY solution for protecting the lens that you're not using.
2. Camera Bag - Turn an old purse from your closet or the thrift store into a functional camera bag full of storage.
3. Felt Carrying Case - Protect your camera from dings and scratches with this bare-bones carrying case. The tute calls for wool, but you could use any yarn that you have in your stash.
4. Water Bottle Tripod - Turn a water bottle into a tripod! Just make sure that your bottle is full. An empty bottle will tip over for sure!
5. Bean Bag Tripod - If your camera is too heavy for the water bottle tripod, check out this bean bag tripod made from scrap fabric.
6. Cheap Light Box - If you're photographing small pieces, a light box is your friend! Check out the video above for how to build one on the cheap.
7. A Lighting Rig - Depending on what you're shooting, you may need to do some lighting, which is always tricky. Check out these DIY lighting solutions!
8. Turn it Into a Scanner - Turn your digital camera into a scanner or copier with this homemade cardboard doohickey.
9. Scarf Camera Strap - Sure, the strap that came with your camera is fine, but this DIY camera strap made from a scarf is gorgeous! This tutorial uses leather, but you can raid your stash for anything that's a nice, heavy weight.
10. Cheater's Bokeh Shapes - Black construction paper, scissors, tape, and a craft punch are all you need to create cool bokeh photos.Full disclosure policy.