Home » $1 and Free, $10 and Beyond, cheap crafts, Food Crafts, Gifts to Make, Kids

Throw a Panda Party

10 January 2009 18,306 views 12 Comments

panda-bday

My son celebrated his first birthday this weekend in Panda style! The color scheme was black and white, and the theme was panda in honor of this stuffed panda E got for Christmas and instantly fell in love with. I got the party supplies (black table cloth, napkins, plates, plastic silverware) at the dollar store.

I like to have a dress-up component to the 1st birthday party (my first son's 1st bday was a pirate dress up party) and so dress code was black & white and I purchased striped black and white scarves for all the party attendees at the DS too.  We also provided panda badges for party goers to wear.

vic-panda

I wanted to make most of the decorations and try to use what I had on hand, or find what I needed at the dollar store.

pandas

My sister and I made the panda badges out of felt. We hot glued the features on, and used fabric paint for the white panda eyes. It cost about $1 to make them all, as felt squares are about 25 cents at the local craft store.

pandaflags2

I made some black and white birthday pennant-style flags to hang up as decorations. All the fabric for these was already on hand (the gingham was from a reycled shirt, the white fabric was from old curtains). I sewed the pennants onto a candy garland I crocheted for holiday decorations.

pandanose

Since my two boys were the only kids attending the party, we made a simple game appropriate for a 2-1/2 and 1 year old to play: Pin the nose on the panda. I used recycled diaper tabs on the back of the noses to make them stick to the felt. Both boys enjoyed the game, but E played it multiple times. We didn't bother with blindfolds since the boys are so young!

panda-cakes

I made panda cupcakes (actually not cake - no bake Oreo dessert) with mini oreos.

ecake3

And panda rice balls with sushi rice and olives.

panda-rice2

There are some more party photos in the gallery:

Visit thecsiproject.com

• Vone said:

Very cute – I love themed parties.

• katy said:

a panda party – such a clever, refreshing theme from Elmo, little buckaroos or pirates! Love the Oreo dessert, black and white attire and bunting. Well done!

• Lauri said:

Thanks for the ideas! One of my sons loves pandas.

• Tonggu Momma said:

My daughter and I are panda obsessed! Thanks so much for sharing your party ideas. I am filing them away.

• Kolonie said:

OMG that is is great I am actually doing the exact theme for my daughters 1st birthday this Saturday!!! She got a stuffed panda for xmas as well that she completely feel in love with so that’s why me and the DH decided panda theme!! very awesome!

• Our $30 Birthday Party | Dollar Store Crafts said:

[…] Panda Birthday Party […]

• tango said:

So cute! I love-love-love that this is an adorable theme yet still feels comfortable, approachable, achievable… What a great party! The color-coordinated guests is a cool idea and makes for great pictures! My panda-obssessed daughter’s party is next weekend. I wish I would have found this sooner, I’d have incorporated these ideas.

• Time Out with Kids: Panda Bear Theme Week said:

[…] had a bamboo bowl of rice with olives that I tried to make look like a panda. I got the idea from Dollar Store Crafts, which I found through […]

• Jana said:

I’ve been searching for ideas for a Panda Party for my daughter who is turning one in 2 months. I decided to go with Panda since I have called her my little panda bear since I was pregnant. Thank you so much for posting these ideas. I have pinned it so I can easily come back to it. Such wonderful ideas.

• kedspandalover said:

Thanks so much! I’m throwing a panda birthday party in two weeks, and was at a loss for ideas. I really love the rice cakes, they’re so original! I am obsessed with giant pandas and I’m sure I will use these things more than once.

• kedspandalover said:

? how do you make the rice balls? just roll ‘em up?

@kedspandalover, I just used a measuring cup. I used sticky rice (calrose) and prepared it according to directions, then I scooped it in a measuring cup and unmolded it onto a tray.