Home » $5 and Under, cheap crafts, Headline, Holiday Crafts, Kids, Tutorials

Halloween Costumes… For Pumpkins!

10 October 2009 8,028 views 8 Comments

My sister-in-law Melia is super creative, and has had quite a few great dollar store crafting ideas herself. I LOVE this one: use those dollar store build-a-bear costume kits to decorate jack-o'-lanterns! Great simple idea for some super cute eye-catching pumpkins. This is an especially great activity to do with younger kids who aren't really old enough to carve pumpkins yet, plus it seems like a fun activity to let them go to the dollar store and pick out a costume... for a pumpkin. My dollar store has a huge selection of bear dress-up costumes, year 'round.

I love my niece's drawings on this pumpkin!

• Pumpkin, $1 and up
  • Build-a-bear costume, $1
  • Markers, on hand

Total: $2

You have the right to remain spooky!

(edited to add) Here are some tips from Melia:

• Small to medium sized pumpkins work best for this project.
  • Rinse off and dry pumpkins before decorating.
  • Use a fix-all type of heavy duty craft glue to attach costumes. I have tried hot glue in the past- but sadly enough, it doesn’t stick to pumpkins! (You could use staples or floral wire, but the pumpkins will begin rotting once you puncture the skin- so they won’t last as long)
  • Use permanent markers
  • The hair is sold separately, they are actually scrunchies that we found in the christmas section. (2 for $1)
  • Be sure to have your scissors and/or seam ripper on hand, as you will want to modify some of the clothing to fit your pumpkin and make gluing easier.

In other family news, I am having a baby today! I'll let you know more about it in a few days. In the meantime, enjoy the posts I have lined up for you!

• amy said:

OMG congrats on the baby!

Which dollar store do you find these little accessories at?

• Kathy V. said:

Only you would be posting a craft blog at the very moment you’re giving birth….congratulations, beautiful daughter!!

• Melia said:

Thanks for posting my pumpkins! We had a lot of fun with it. The bear/doll costumes are in the toy section at both the of Dollar Tree Stores near us here in San Jose.

Here are some more tips:
    -Small to medium sized pumpkins work best for this project.
    -Rinse off and dry pumpkins before decorating.
    -Use a fix-all type of heavy duty craft glue to attach costumes. I have tried hot glue in the past- but sadly enough, it doesn’t stick to pumpkins! (You could use staples or floral wire, but the pumpkins will begin rotting once you puncture the skin- so they won’t last as long)
    -Use permanent markers
    -The hair is sold separately, they are actually scrunchies that we found in the christmas section. (2 for $1)
    -Be sure to have your scissors and/or seam ripper on hand, as you will want to modify some of the clothing to fit your pumpkin and make gluing easier.

• Aunt LoLo said:

Umm…nice pumpkins? (no, really, they are!) but CONGRATS ON THE BABY!!!!

• Halloween Costumes said:

terrific use of those pumpkins! Congrats on the new addition!

• Rose said:

Oh my goodness, it’s a good thing I read to the bottom! Congratulations on the baby!! :)

• Care said:

I love this idea! Gotta check out my dollar store and see if they have those costumes!

• theresa said:

That is a good idea. If I can’t make it to the dollar store or they don’t have them. I’m going to try Mr. Potato Head parts. I have a ton around my house since I like to collect them. I figured it’d save instead of buying the ones specially made for pumpkins.