Home » $1 and Free, cheap crafts, From Our Readers, Headline, Kids

Weekend Kid Craft: Make Frost Paint

13 February 2010 5,598 views 6 Comments

I have never seen this before, but it's so cool: make frost paint with epsom salts! The crafty mamas over at Homemade Mamas, readers Rebecca and Maggie cooked up this fun activities for their littles -- frosty-looking crystals actually form on the paper! This is especially great for those of us who live in warmer places where frost doesn't ever form on the windows (I realize as I type this that I don't actually KNOW if frost still forms on any windows... my only first-hand knowledge of it is from the Little House on the Prairie books... they're my favorite.) [how to make frost paint]

I haven't seen Epsom Salt at the dollar store, but you can pick it up for less than two dollars at your local drug or grocery store, and you can use it to make some nice bath salts (check Homemade Mamas for that project, too!)

• Epsom Salt, $1.26 or on hand
  • Boiling water, on hand
  • Colored paper, on hand

Total: FREE

p.s. Please visit our sponsor, Discount School Supplies for Extreme Bargains - shop hundreds of items all with savings over 50% off retail!

• shelby said:

cool!!! i can’t wait to try it out

• JHill said:

Our Dollar Tree has epsom salts in the make-up/ first aid aisle!

• Wendy Piersall said:

Oh, I assure you, frost DOES form on windows! Especially old, drafty ones that have broken panes from rambunctious kids.

Ummm… yeah.

• Lauren said:

haha We just had a blizzard… have an summer crafts? I’m starting to forget what THAT looks like. :)

• Tifani said:

I tried this activity with four kids, ages 2 to 14, and it was a bit hit with all of them. Thanks for the idea!

• Jess said:

We just did this same activity inthe preschool classroom I teach in! They loved it and it looks GREAT!