Home » $1 and Free, Accessories, cheap crafts, Fashion, Headline, Tutorials, Wearable Crafts

Make the World’s Easiest Crocheted Scarf

11 July 2011 63,404 views 44 Comments

by rhonda

Even if you've never picked up a crochet hook in your life, you'll have no problem making this fabulous multi-strand scarf.  It was inspired by a similar scarf I spotted at a pricey boutique.  The scarf I saw consisted of many long braids tied together in a series of knots.  I looked at the dozens of tiny braids and thought, "it would be a zillion times easier to crochet one of these!"  It's also a great  project for using up random odds and ends from your stash, including novelty yarns.  I've found some novelty yarns to be difficult to work with in the past, but they work up very easily for this project and add some interesting variety to your finished scarf!

• Yarn, on hand or $1 and up
  • Crochet hook, on hand or $1 and up
  • Scissors, on hand

Total:  Free and up

The only stitch you need to know to make this scarf is the easiest crochet stitch there is: the chain stitch.  If you're not a crocheter, check out this video to see just how easy it is!

To make your scarf, you'll need to make lots of very long chains.  In order to make a scarf long enough to wrap twice around the neck, I started with chains about 10 feet long.  You should make at least 15 chains, though you can add as many as you like.  (This one has 18 strands.)  The more chains  you add, the thicker your scarf will be.  Use a variety of different yarns and hook sizes to get lots of different widths and textures of chains.  (This might take you a while, even if you're a fast crocheter.  Hey, I promised you an easy project, not a quick one!)

Hold all of the chains together and tie an overhand knot.  Pull the knot as tight as possible; you may need to pull on each individual chain to tighten the knot completely.

Continue knotting approximately every 8 to 12 inches along the length of the chains.

Trim each individual chain to the desired finished length at the ends and tie a knot in each end to stop them from unraveling.

I'm loving these scarves so much that I can't stop making them!  Here's another one, this time with 24 strands.  Not that I want summer to go too quickly, but I can't wait for fall so I can start wearing them!

• Toni Bultman said:

I love this idea, I have a basket full of yarn and I am going to start on one right now. Thank You

• Erika said:

What a great way to use up all the random balls of stash yarn and left-overs! Thanks for the great idea.

• heather said:

This is so fun. This would be a great starter-crochet project for a grade-schooler, tween, or teen. I would have loved to know this for all the chains I crocheted as a kid. :) I usually just unraveled them because I didn’t know what to do once they were made.

• Heather's Mom said:

I agree with you that novelty yarn isn’t very fun to work with and ends up looking like something my grandma would wear. This is a nice way to add a little featheryness to the whole scarf without it being too much. This is a fabulous way to use up all the random left-over yarn that is taking up space in the “stash”. It would be a great car or tv project because you could almost do it without looking. Well Done!

• Michelle L. said:

I really love this look! Thanks for a lovely tute, Rhonda!

• Robyne said:

Awesome! I have so many random styles of leftover yarn and now I know exactly what to do with them! Great job and thanks for sharing~~Robyne

• Zombie Leah said:

I love this so much!!! It could be the project that finally makes me learn how to crochet! :P

• Mlissabeth said:

I really loved this pattern when I saw the photos this morning, and I was inspired to make a skinny scarf to wear this summer. My scarf was made with fun fur, worsted weight and crochet thread chains. You can see my end result here: http://mlissabeth.blogspot.com/2011/07/easy-crocheted-skinny-scarf.html. I linked back to this blog as my inspiration. I hope you like it.

• Rhonda’s Closet: Week 2: Easy Multi-Strand Crocheted Scarf | Mrs. Greene - writing, crafting, life in general said:

[...] I also wrote a tutorial for making this scarf over at Dollar Store Crafts, so if you like the look, be sure to go check it out and make one of your own! [how to make an easy multi-strand crocheted scarf] [...]

• J. Hill said:

ACK! Thank you for this! I have had some “novelty” “yarn”
    for “years” (hehe) that I love but had no idea how to use! I think I have to try this today!

• Lindsay @ Delighted Momma said:

This is beautiful!! Hello Etsy shop..

• Kendra said:

I am so happy to find simple ideas to do with crocheting. This is a very pretty scarf and I know the exact colors I would like to use to make mine.

Thanks!

Kendra~

• stellaonline said:

Wow, I feel trendy now! I made a mess of these for last winter, and they’re a HUGE hit, and to make it even better, it was actually VERY warm!

The only difference is that I would chain 20 or so, then put a single-crochet to the previous chain, so that instead of knots, my version laid flat, and could be made ridiculously wide, with LOTS of “ribbons.”

I absolutely adore it!! I bought yarn to specifically match my winter coats for my version, but I think I’ll make one with my scraps per your suggestion. It’d be a PERFECT summer/fall scarf!

Thank you!

• BluBabesCreate said:

Like this! And thanks for featuring my t-shirt skirt tutorial!

• Amber J said:

What a cute and easy idea. I’m planning on making one for my sis for Christmas. I don’t have any yarn but I found some at goodwill for cheap. It’ll be a hodge podge of colors, size, and types of yarn but I think it’ll be great.

• Emily G said:

what a brilliant idea – love it!

• I’m moving… | Simple.Fibre.Life said:

[...] because I was totally inspired by this. [...]

• Amy M said:

I am loving these! I have a bunch of leftover yarn that I am using up! I hope my sisters like them as much as I do because they are all getting one for Christmas. :) Thanks for the inspiration!

• A life with many interests: crochet said:

[...] I call it the Easy-Peasy Chain-stitch Crochet Scarf. I found the idea on one of my favorite blogs, Dollar Store Crafts. They have step-by-step instructions and photos for assembling the scarf, and even feature a video [...]

• Melissa said:

I love this….Imma definately going to try this…. I want to learn how to make an crochet scarf…life an infinity…but this is a great way to start…Im going to share this on my BLOG..
    Thanks

• Suz said:

This is a great looking scarf, and a great way mix different textures. I found a wide variety of funky yarns and had no idea of what to do with them, but I bought them anyways. I cannot wait to make a bunch of these. Thanks for this post.

• Roberta said:

Thank you so much for this idea. I’ve had it bookmarked for awhile and over the last two weeks have crocheted a chain here and there and kast night finished my scarf. I LOVE it, my husband, kids and neighbor really liked it too! These will be great Christmas gifts. Thanks again for the inspiration. :)

• Quick and Crafty Gift Ideas said:

[...] The Easy-Peasy Scarf (from Dollar Store Crafts) [...]

• Suz said:

Okay, so I made one of these, my friend sold it to her co-worker and now she wants 6 more. Apparently this style is popular around here and are selling like crazy. Thank you so much for posting this pattern/idea.

• heather said:

Awesome, Suz!!

• Jes Lacasse » Lunchtime Lookup – January 6th, 2012 said:

[...] Store Crafts has the instructions for a simple stash-busting crochet scarf – seriously, you guys, it’s so easy! I’m making one right [...]

• Semaine inspirante via facebook & petit post sur ce qui est en cours « ACCROchet said:

[...] foulard au crochet le plus facile de la planète… et ça ne paraîtra pas… et vous serez une as des mailles en l’air… et [...]

• Toni said:

So funky! Love it. My 12yo dd has a very edgy sense of style and I’m sure this will be a big hit with her. She crochets so I’m even going to let her make it herself.

• Karen said:

Thank for this great clever pattern. Although I am an experienced crocheter, I love easy patterns that use up my leftover novelty yarns.

• EDITH said:

Have made 2 so far: red, white and blue for July 4 and a black and white one for a black and white ball on a ship trip.
    LOVE THEM!

• Beginning of Fall – Tuesday Thinking | The Handmade Experiment said:

[...] to be fun for so long. I needed something to help me feel productive. I’m easing in with this creative project. Yes, I am now that crazy woman with yarn sitting poolside during swim class. Share [...]

• Wendy said:

Hello,

I saw this yesterday and could not wait to get started. I can not believe how fast it is coming together and all the color combinations I am planning! So glad I found this one!!

Thanks
    Wendy

• Sara said:

I really love this idea. Do you have a time estimate for this? I have never crocheted before, but I’d like to think I could catch on quickly.

• heather said:

@Sara, I’m guessing it would take about an hour or maybe two depending on how many strands.

• Tracy said:

I just stumbled across your blog while looking for an easy crochet project. I am obsessed! I have already made 4 and have 2 more planned as gifts for Christmas. I plan on making a bunch more to keep on hand for gifts. Thank you so much!

• Pintastic Saturday | Little Bird Designs of Fredericksburg said:

[...] Crochet Chain Scarf Not a pattern, but definitely quick and [...]

• Slap Dash Moms Top 10 Posts of 2012 said:

[...] World’s Easiest Crocheted Scarf 2. Letter to My 16 Year Old Self 3. 24 Hour Antioxidant Diet 4. Chocolate Salted Caramel Cupcakes [...]

• Marje said:

Thank you so much for this idea, so simple but also very effective. I’m making one in heathery shades of subtle pinks and purples with some greens and browns mixed in, it’s looking scrummy!!

• Por tus manos - ¿Sabes hacer cadeneta? Sabes hacer esta bufanda said:

[...] Tutorial ofrecido por Dollar Store Crafts [...]

• Cory said:

Love this!!! I”m making summer scarfs for my 3-day walk fundraiser and just made one of these!! Thanks for sharing!

• Barb Cleary said:

I’m visiting my son in Georgia but can’t wait to get home to dig out all my leftover yarn. yay !!!!! What a fun scarf, especially for my 20 something nieces. They will think I’m “way cool” when I give them as Christmas gifts !!

• alice said:

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this scarf! It’s the easiest to make and looks wonderful. I’ve taught my niece to finger crochet (slipknots) and she made her own scarf. I’ve already made 3 different ones and plan on making more. THANKS for the idea!

• Lynne said:

Just came across ths on Pinterest. Can’t wit to try it!

• Yarn Stash Buster Patterns - The Knit Wit by Shair said: