Home » $10 and Beyond, Decor, Headline, High Concept, Tutorials

Tutorial: PB-Inspired Tiled Mirror for $10

16 February 2012 555,785 views 79 Comments

pb inspired mirror tutorial

Our most popular post of all time is the PB-Inspired Tiled Mirror, but there's just one problem: the original tutorial for that project has been deleted from the internet. And, it used a poster frame, which adds a considerable expense if you don't already have it on hand. Last week while I was browsing my local dollar store, I figured out a quick and easy way to get the same look, with way less trouble. To make this version of the mirror, you don't have to know how to use any tools... just duct tape and glue. Everyone can do that, right?

tiled mirror

With the dollar store, you are always somewhat limited because items you find there can only be so large for $1. My solution to this is to combine small things together to make a bigger impact (like I did with this bulletin board project). That's all we're doing with this project! Attaching some small mirrors together to make a big one.

tiled mirror supplies

Project Materials:

• 9 framed mirrors, $9
  • Duct tape, on hand
  • Piece of black foam core board, $1
  • Ribbon or picture-hanging wire, on hand or $1
  • Craft glue, on hand
  • Hot glue & glue gun, on hand

Total: $10

Make sure you choose all mirrors that are the same size - mine were about 8.5 x 11". I also recommend selecting the same color of frame. In my case, I chose black frames.

This project is all about the duct tape. Use the tape to attach the mirrors securely together, and then you will reinforce the whole thing with the foam core board.

Part One: Attach the Mirrors to Each other With Duct Tape

tiled mirror

1. Unwrap the mirrors. Then, line up three mirrors on your work surface, face down. Make sure they are VERY lined up, as evenly and close together as you can get.

tiled mirror step 1

2. Add duct tape over the seams, and across the seams and all the mirrors, as shown. Basically, there is no such thing as too much tape.

Repeat for the next two rows of 3 mirrors, until you have three identically taped together rows.

tiled mirror step 3

3. Line up two of your rows next to each other. Again, keep them as even and as close as you can. Tape across the seams (as shown by the yellow duct tape), and then over the seams. Attach the third row to the first two in the same way.

tiled mirorro taping

4. When all three rows are securely taped together across all seams, add additional reinforcing duct tape. I put a large X across the whole thing (I ran out of silver tape in this photo, but I extended the X all the way across the mirrors. I also put tape all the way around the outside perimeter of the mirrors.

Like I said, there is no such thing as too much duct tape.

Part Two: Reinforce With Foam Core Board

tiled mirror step 5

At this point, you will be adding the ribbon for hanging. Just a note, I have not tested out how strong the ribbon & hot glue combination is for hanging because I have been leaning my mirror up against the wall instead. You need to add the foam core backing to the mirrors because if you leave them as they are, they are flexible and will bend and it really compromises the duct tape joints.

1. Trim a piece of black foam core to fit the back of the mirrors. I left about one inch around the whole thing, so the foam core wasn't right up against the edges of the mirrors.

2. Hot glue the ends of a piece of ribbon to each side of the top third of the back of the mirror. Make sure these ribbons are long enough to tie together comfortably.

3. Put craft glue on the back of the mirrors, and place the foam core board over the glue - making sure you leave the ribbon sticking out.

5. Let the foam core and glue dry completely.

6. Tie ribbons together using a square knot. Don't leave much slack unless you want the ribbon to show when you hang it.

tiled mirror

There you go! It took longer to write this up than it did to make it. I promise, it's super easy! You can totally do this!

tiled mirror idy

• Susan @ Oh My! Creative said:

Very clever! I am looking for some fun crafts to feature on my web site soon…would love for you to submit your mirror!

Susan @ Oh My! Creative

• Dollar Store Crafts » Blog Archive » The Best of DSC: Top 12 Posts of 2012 said:

[…] We love designer-inspired projects, especially when the DIY version is much cheaper to make than the cost of the original.  Sure, you could drop a few hundred dollars on a large tiled mirror to hang above your mantel, but we would rather spend $10 on supplies and make our own!  (And so would our readers!)  [how to make a PB-inspired tiled mirror] […]

• 45 Amazing DIY Projects! said:

[…] $10 PB-Inspired Mirror @ Dollar Store Crafts […]

• Jennifer said:

Such a great idea! Please share your projects at http://www.creativecraftsthursday.blogspot.com each and every week and check out what other creative divas are up to.

• 30 Simple, Creative, Handmade Projects and Gifts - Part Three said:

[…] I love how elegant and simple this is! I already know where I want to put mine (once I make it that is. ) Here are the instructions. […]

• Shalaunda said:

Whats foam core? Can you post a picture. Thanks and great idea

• Sandra said:

I bought a few of those mirrors and I had not idea on how to incorporate it in my living room.

Thank you so very much.

• esskay said:

Hello Heather,

Came across this when searching for wall mirrors that will look like windows! Brilliantly simple, much more than scouring for an old window pane, separately placing individual mirrors etc.

However, I would love to make one of these and put it up on the wall. So, was wondering, since it has been over a year since you made it, how has it held up?

Did you hang it up at all?

I have to decide between this simple, and easy on the pocket solution and the more tedious window-pane route. Since, reeling from buying our first home. So, any suggestions will help, to make it sturdy enough.

BTW, am from India, where sadly the do-it-yourself is not prevalent and hence, getting even simple hardware tools such as a glue gun might be a difficult ask!

• Greg said:

Love this idea! I Need some decor for when I get my new place. i just went to the dollar tree and found the mirrors just like you said you could. Reading the comments to have it turn out right . Going to try bending with a finger nail and gluing the frames together and might try the plywood instead of the foam core. I have a new appreciation for dollar stores , who said they just sell junk. Viva Dollar Tree!!!

• Beth said:

This project really work for me! The house I bought had wall sconces EVERYWHERE, previuos owners either loved ’em or got ’em cheap! Anyway, I was able to create a large horizontal mirror and fit it around the sconces by leaving a mirror out of the middle row and butting another set of mirrors next to it. Lovely – it increased the light output from the sconces. Now I don’t hate them as much! Thank you!

• Transform Your Decor with a $10 PB Mirror from Dollar Store Materials - Superstar Babies said:

[…] store mirrors & duct tape, you can transform any room with this lovely piece. I found this tutorial on Dollar Store Crafts and wanted to re-share on the […]

• Seaside Interiors said:

Thanks so much for sharing this. I love being able to have amazing little ideas like this on hand! Great job!!

• Amanda said:

Has anyone found these at Dollar Tree recently?? Online says they are out of stock…. Just don’t want to kill myself going to 20 stores just to learn they don’t stock them anymore.

Thanks! :)

@Amanda, I saw some at Dollar Tree this week, but your results may vary!

• Amanda said:

Went to one today and found mirrors but they had a weird thin border… Do you see the ones with the thick border like in your tutorial? If yes, maybe I’ll just try different stores! Thanks!

@amanda, mine had the thin black border — once you attach the mirrors together, the inner borders look thicker. Hope that helps.

• Amanda said:

The ones I saw had borders that were shiny and rounded. No all black ones, but some gold, and some half black and half gold. Kinda eighties and not what yours look like in the pics….

• RL said:

Tried this and it didn’t work for me at all. The glue ate into the foam board so my husband tried liquid nails and it wouldn’t stick either. Not sure what I did wrong. The instructions were pretty clear. I just gave up and used mirrors for something else.

@RL – Maybe substitute cardboard for the foam core board.

• Devon said:

They make a glue just for foam board that will not eat through it. Home Depot sells it in a tube that you can use with an adhesive gun.

[…] Source: dollarstorecrafts.com […]

• Lisa @ Charlie The Cavalier said:

Very smart! I want to try this now.

• Alice Crawford said:

• NanCee Maynard said:

I used 9 mirrors duct taped them together and then laid them on used scrap floor underlay /plywood to get correct size. I cut quarter round molding same height at frames to fit securely (nailed/ liquid nails ) around mirrors on three sides, I put some glue down on plywood slid the mirrors in , finished up with last piece of quarter round. Viola. Secure. First time, I rag painted the frames for “aged look” and used old rope around the edges with enough rope at top to hang, turned out very well and gave it to a girlfriend.

@NanCee – that sounds amazing! I would love to see a photo of the finished product!

• Dollar Store DIY | The Budget Decorator said:

[…] Store Crafts’ has a tutorial on making this Pottery Barn inspired dollar store mirror… glue gun and dollar store mirrors, and some foam core board! […]

• Week In Review - Dutch Doors & reflections said:

[…] there is my other idea.  Taking a brilliant DIY knock off of a Pottery Barn Tile Mirror one, or maybe two, steps […]

• Betty819 said:

Stephanie…I had to laugh at your comments because I was a carpenter’s daughter and you didn’t dare touch Daddy’s tools, especially his hammer.
    Even if he didn’t see you use it or if you think you laid it exactly as you found it, he always knew and boy, the cussing would start! Now I’m sure he didn’t have just one hammer, you would have thought he’d assigned me my own hammer so I wouldn’t have messed with his..Oh well, he lived to be 93 and his mind was still as sharp as a tack despite the stroke he suffered 3 weeks before his death.

• Brenda said:

I’m waiting on my E6000 glue to dry, has anyone tried this glue on thick cardboard from a appliance box? Would like to know how it held while hung on a wall. I love this high class projec with the low price. Thank You For Sharing This beautiful piece.