Home » $10 and Beyond, Decor, Headline, Tutorials, Video

Anthropologie Inspired Circles Mirror

31 October 2012 55,531 views 17 Comments

anthropologie mirror project

Who loves Anthropologie? Who loves getting inspiration from Anthropologie and crafting it up dollar store style? We do! And today we have a guest video tutorial from the very entertaining Debi's Design Diary - check out this amazing mirror she made from dollar store materials, inspired by the Iron Circle mirror at Anthropologie. Anthro's version of the mirror is $428, but you can make a dollar store version for about $25, for a savings of... $403 bucks! We love our contributor, so please go [visit Debi's Design Diary]

If you love fun craft videos, you HAVE TO subscribe to Debi's Youtube Channel. She is so fun!

Here's the video tutorial, read on for the written instructions.

Project Materials:

• 15 mirrors, $15
  • Rustoleum Gold spray paint, $5
  • Hex nuts & Screws (15 1-1/4" screws, 45 hex nuts), estimated $5
  • 12 paint can lids, on hand (or buy for .39 each)
  • Drill, on hand
  • Clamp, on hand
  • Hammer & nail, on hand
  • Yard stick, on hand
  • Permanent marker, on hand
  • E-6000 or other glass glue, on hand or $5 and up

Total: $25 and up

Anthropologie-Inspired Circles Mirror Instructions:

While I am providing written instructions here, I recommend you watch the video to get the full picture of how to create this mirror!

anthropologie knockoff mirror

This is the inspiration mirror Debi saw at Anthropologie.

anthropologie knockoff mirror dollar store version

Supplies: Use 12 old paint can lids you have on hand and clean them up with paint thinner, OR buy old paint lids at your local recycled building supply center, or I found them online for about $.39 each (which would make 12 of them a little over $5, not including shipping). The mirrors are from the candle section at the dollar store.

anthropologie mirror, step 1: marking the drill holes

1. Lay the paint lids out together in a grid of three by five. Mark the edges of the paint can lids where they touch other paint lids. Use a yard stick and permanent marker to get them lined up as accurately as possible. You will drill in the spots where you marked.

anthropologie mirror step 2: clamp and drill

2. Clamp the lid down to a worktable, and drill in the spots where you marked. You will drill through the outside of the lid. This is where you will be attaching screws and hex nuts.

Attach lids together with screws and hex nuts. Each screw should have three hex nuts - one on the inside of the screw, one between the lids, and one on the outside of the screw.

anthropologie mirror step 3: spray paint lids

3. Once the paint lids are all connected, flatten them down on your work surface so they lay flat. Spray paint with gold paint.

anthropologie mirror step 5: glue on mirrors

4. When paint dries, glue mirrors onto paint lid grid. Use E-6000 or a similar glue.

anthropologie mirror for $25

• jesspants said:

How cool! Thanks for sharing! :)

• Kathy Cook said:

this is great, love all Debi’s creations and her excellently entertaining videos… Debi! YOU ROCK!!!! Can not wait to see what you do with a suitcase!

• carolyn ~ homework said:

Another fantastic video. You make me laugh, smile, think and inspire me!

• Carissa said:

this is amazing! great job! Thanks for sharing your awesome tute.

• Rosa said:

Great job – I actually like the dollar store version more than the original.

• Beckie said:

Wow! What a savings. Love how it turned out and I like it better than the orginal….

• Debi said:

Wow thanks so much for letting me share my tutorial on Dollar Store Crafts! Thanks for watching my video everyone I am so glad you enjoyed this :) xo Debi

• Val @ Home Made Modern said:

Are you kidding me? This is absolutely gorgeous, not to mention genius!

• Abbie said:

This is great! I would have never thought to use paint can lids. Genius!

• Donna Casey said:

This is AWESOME!! Definitely going on my to-do list. Was just thinking maybe you could even take this up one more notch & re-create the offset circles around the paint lids by using embroidery hoops. I think you could still make the connections the same way you did & it would add even more interest to the circles. I’m going to give it a shot! Thanks so much for the genius tutorial!! :)

• Angela said:

I love this idea and it so closely resembles the original. I am always amazed at what people come up with in the dollar store. It is so creative. Now when I go in there it is all I can think about. What I can make out of this??? Love the posts.

• iHanna said:

Love the fun and quick going video. Awesome project!

• Anthro Inspired Circles Mirror | Copycat Crafts said:

[…] Dollar Store Crafts » Blog Archive Anthropologie Inspired Circles Mirror DIY Tutorial with Video. /* Filed Under: Wall […]

• Dollar Store Crafts » Blog Archive » Make a Makeup Compact Bubble Mirror said:

[…] love Anthro-inspired mirror projects.  (See exhibit A, exhibit B.)  This gorgeous specimen by KariAnne at Thistlewood Farms is no exception!  Taking […]

• Haley said:

I saw this mirror in anthro about a month ago and my DIY wheels were spinning out of control! I was dreaming something up with mason jar lids, but paint lids make so much more sense as well as the candle mirror disc things. Brilliant!

My only question is: where in the world do you find that many paint can lids??

• Ashley said:

How do you hang it?! Please email me if you hung it up and have a way. Thanks!!