This is Amy from Mod Podge Rocks, and I love my dogs. In addition to loving my dogs, I love glitter, picture frames, and, of course, Mod Podge! I decided to combine all these things together and show you a last minute gift idea if you’re currently seeking something speedy to throw together. This took me less than an hour before I had a finished product. Now someone I love will receive a delightful picture of my pooches in their holiday gear!
- Black frame, $1
- Glitter tree ornament, $1
- Gold Glitter Mod Podge, on hand
- Blue and green craft paint, on hand
- Craft glue, on hand
- Paint brush, on hand
- Sandpaper, on hand
Total cost: $2 and up
Time Needed: less than 1 hour
- Here is the frame I started with. The dollar store has an absolutely FABULOUS selection of frames right now – some with unusual sized openings that add interest to your project. I have three dogs, so I chose the one with three openings.
- Sand your frame lightly. If you don’t have sandpaper, don’t fear – wipe down with a wet paper towel and dry off. Sanding helps the paint stick and makes your life easier, but it’s not required.
- Paint your frame with several coats of craft paint. I used a blue shade that I had. Don’t worry about using “Christmas colors” – I like my frame because it can be kept out past the holidays. It’s more of a winter bling frame than anything! Completely coat your frame (don’t forget the sides and the back) and allow to dry for 15 minutes.
- Grab a contrasting color of paint (kelly green for me) and use the end of your paint brush to place polka dots all over. This is one of the simplest painting techniques ever – anyone can do it! Allow to dry for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Mod Podge your frame with the Gold Glitter. I waited about two minutes in between coats and did another one. I have a total of three coats on here. The nice thing is that because there is no paper to glue down, you don’t have to wait the standard 15 – 20 minutes for drying time. Allow your frame to dry for a few minutes before moving to the next step.
- Use your craft glue to add your glitter tree embellishment (after you cut off the string). You don’t even have to wait for the Mod Podge to be completely dry to do this step. Get all of the glue on there and let everything dry at once! Once it’s dry, insert your pictures and wrap it up.
- NOTE: Notice that I didn’t cover the hole in the top of the ornament on the finished frame. It didn’t bother me. If it bothers you, go ahead and glue a button, rhinestone or other embellishment over the hole to cover.
In addition to having a great selection of frames, the dollar store also has MANY ornaments right now. You can make a set of frames for friends in a few hours and still have time to go out to dinner this evening! Happy Holidays and have fun crafting.