Looking for a cute Halloween trick or treat to give to grown ups in your life? This cute little Dracula is really an egg-shaped EOS lip balm sphere all dressed up for Halloween. What a great “Happy Halloween” for anyone who just doesn’t need another bag of candy in her life! I vant to soften your lips! This easy craft is the perfect go-to Halloween gift for teachers, friends, or co-workers. Or use the Count as a cute hostess gift at your Halloween shindig.
In my life before Dollar Store Crafts (yes, there WAS a time before DSC!), I used to make and sell all-natural vegan lip balm. In fact, I was the #3 store on Etsy for awhile! So, I am a very harsh critic of lip balm, and I avoid most brands because they use petroleum-based products. The folks at EOS offered to send me some lip balm, and I agreed once I found out that their product is all-natural. Plus, they’re just so darn cute! You can buy the spheres at your local big box or drug store, or on Amazon (EOS Lip Balm). And, while they cost more than $1, you won’t have to buy anything extra to make the cute little Dracula costume, making it a great low-cost grown up Halloween treat.
Supplies: If you don’t want to use EOS spheres, how about blown eggs or candy-filled plastic Easter eggs? If you choose to use blown eggs, follow the instructions at The Artful Parent: How to Make Blown Eggs. You might have to get really lucky to find plastic Easter eggs this time of year, but maybe you have them in your stash! I left Dracula faceless, but you could add googly eyes and drawn-on fangs!
- Cardboard egg carton, on hand
- Craft foam or card stock (black), on hand
- Scrap cardboard (white), on hand
- Narrow ribbon (red), or red marker, on hand
- Gold foil star, on hand
- Black paint (acrylic craft paint or spray paint), on hand
- Glue (tacky or hot glue), on hand
- Scissors, on hand
- Green EOS Lip Balm, about $2.78
- Cut a single cup from an egg carton and trim sides.
- Paint cup black (inside and out) with acrylic craft paint or spray paint. Allow paint to dry.
- Cut a small bib out of scrap cardboard (from a cardboard food container or label). If you need a template, trace a nickel, and then cut the circle in half so you have a half-circle. Cut a triangular notch in the half-circle.
- Glue a “v” of red ribbon on either side of the notch in the half-circle.
- Glue gold foil star to the red ribbon.
- For Dracula’s collar, cut a 2×2” square of black craft foam or card stock. Cut “swoops” in one side of the square for Dracula’s pointed collar.
- Glue collar to back of black egg cup.
- Insert egg into cup.
Disclosure: I received this lip balm from the EOS company in order to make crafts with. They hired me to create this craft for them (for their own use), but I was not paid for this post. The links in the article are Amazon affiliate links.