This holiday season, don’t let your pet go without a little wardrobe. Make your favorite furbaby a jaunty holiday hat, perfect for caroling with the Dickensian singing group, a special holiday party, or for the big day itself. Our model Sebastian is raising the bar this Holiday with something other than the typical Santa Hat.
Candy Cane Christmas Hat – for Dogs or Cats
What you’ll need:
- A black hat (found this one in the doll section of Joann’s – only 99 cents!), $1
- Red ribbon, on hand or $1
- Green feathers, $1
- Red and white chenille stems, on hand or $1
- Elastic string, on hand or $1
- Stapler, on hand
- Hot glue gun and glue, on hand
Total: $2 and up
Supplies: you can find the green feathers in the floral section of your local craft store, or be creative and look for them in unexpected places in the dollar store. I have found feather dusters, dream catchers, and feathered masks and used them for their feathers! If you don’t have ribbon, use whatever you have on hand, like a strip of felt or fabric.
To Make It:
1. Measure your dog from one side of chin where ear lays to the other side. Cut two pieces of elastic string and staple them to the bottom of each side of the hat to help secure hat to head.
2. Attach red ribbon around the rim with glue.
3. Attach green feathers on one side of hat with a dab of glue at the stem.
4. Make a mini candy cane by twisting the red and white chenille stems together and bending one end. Trim with wire cutters or scissors if neccessary (DON’T use your good scissors!). The candy cane shown in this picture is for a 3-6 lb chihuhua hat. Luckily Joann’s has a few hat sizes to choose from!!
5. Apply candy cane on top of feathers with glue and cover up the stems of the feathers at the same time.
6. Put it on and tilt it to the side!