Don’t you just love Victorian style? It’s easy and fun to craft up vintage-inspired cones to fill with flowers or other goodies for a romantic wedding. Use these cones as a whimsical bouquet for bridesmaids or flower girls, or as pew decorations. You could also use the cones as centerpieces – just set them inside a clear glass vase. Or, fill the cones with candy for a fun take-home gift.
Get the cones at the dollar store – stumped as to where to find them in the store? Well, check the party section – they started out as party hats! Make cones out of party hats turned upside-down. Embellish them with whatever extras you have in your craft drawer. Buttons, scraps of ribbon, old broken jewelry, or dimensional scrapbooking stickers are all good embellishments; you can glue just about anything to a cone to make it fun and festive. Don’t forget to check your thrift store for embellishment materials – I often find lace, ribbon, and buttons in big bags for less than $5.
This is a great stashbuster craft – use up what you have on hand. You can tie it all together with an acrylic paint basecoat in your wedding hue. Invite your bridesmaids over for a fun crafternoon and get these all done in one day (and no stress).
- Party hat, 8 for $1
- Embellishments like buttons, sequins, or plastic rhinestones, on hand or $1 and up
- Ribbon or lace, on hand or $1 and up
- Hot glue and glue gun, on hand
- Acrylic craft paint, on hand or about $1 a bottle
Total: $1 and up
I actually found this neon ribbon at the dollar store. I love the 80s vibe of this cone. It keeps it from looking TOO sweet. I used an old 80s earring for the square bit.
1. Paint party hats if desired. I painted mine with antique white acrylic craft paint. Let paint dry completely before adding embellishments.
2. Glue flat embellishments like ribbon, lace using craft glue or hot glue. A lacy border around the top of the cone looks really pretty. Allow glue to dry.
3. Add dimensional embellishments like buttons, rhinestones, or costume jewelry.
4. Be sure to glue on a ribbon handle.