I created some circular beads with the help of some neon paper, Mod Podge, and Mod Podge’s cousin Dimensional Magic. I love the possibilities of turning a little piece of paper into a decorative bead you can use for lots of different kinds of jewelry! Read on to find out how to do it.
- Assorted paper (I used neon), on hand
- Paper punch (I used a 3/4″ round punch), on hand
- Small hole punch, on hand
- Mod Podge, on hand or about $5 and up a bottle
- Dimensional Magic, about $5 a tube
- Earring hooks, on hand or $1 and up
- Black thread, on hand
- Foam brush, on hand
- Wax paper, on hand
Total: $5 and up
Supplies: I had all this stuff on hand. If you have the Dimensional Magic on hand, this project is basically free. If you DON’T have any DM on hand, I recommend it because it is a very fun supply! What is Dimensional Magic? It’s a water-based glaze that has the look of resin, but without the mess, the mixing, or the uncertainty. For more info on Dimensional Magic, visit my best friend Amy’s blog: Mod Podge Rocks!
One thing you need to know about Dimensional Magic is that it takes several hours to dry, so plan on an afternoon, or overnight, for creating these beads.
How to Make Dimensional Magic Paper Beads:
1. Mod Podge the paper you want to use, and allow it to dry. Then Mod Podge the other side.
You need to seal the paper before you coat it with Dimensional Magic, and it is easier to Mod Podge it before you punch it as well.
2. Punch the Mod Podged (and dried) paper. Make sure the paper is completely dry, or you will muck up your paper punch.
3. Lay a piece of wax paper on a sturdy surface (such as a cookie sheet), and put the punched out paper discs on top of it.
4. Put a light coat of Dimensional Magic on each disc. You might want to use the “royal icing” technique of piping around the edge of the disc, and then flooding DM inside the bead. Don’t use too much DM. A light coat will do.
Allow the Dimensional Magic to dry completely – at least several hours or overnight.
5. When the DM is totally dry, turn discs over and cover with Dimensional Magic and allow to dry.
6. When completely dry, you can punch a hole in the disc with a small hole punch. You might have a little leakage of Dimensional Magic on the edges of the beads. Just trim it off with scissors.
7. String as desired.
To Make Neon Paper Bead Earrings:
1. Tie some black thread around each bead.
2. Tie thread to earring wires.
3. Rock the earrings.
4. Get kissed by boys.
5. Get made fun of for wearing earrings that look like they’re made of garage sale price tags.
6. Yes, this blog is cheap, but it’s not THAT CHEAP.