Crafty Shark Week, everybody! Make a cute poolside sign that says “Beware: Shark Infested Waters” and is made out of dollar store flip-flops that look like they’ve survived a shark attack! This wreath would be cute for a kids’ bathroom or nautical-themed bedroom too.
I was inspired to make this shark-bitten flip-flop wreath by a Shark Party Idea post I saw on Chickabug (who found it on Pinterest, and nobody can find the original source). My version is quite a bit different, but here’s the very cute inspiration wreath (which looks like it was made with dollar store flip-flops, so if you are the person who created this wreath, please speak up and I’d be happy to give you credit!):
Here’s my version of the shark-bitten wreath, and instructions for making it:
- Floral foam wreath form, $1
- 2 pairs of flip-flops: $2
- A piece of glitter craft foam, $.12 (From a pack of 8)
- A piece of recycled cardboard, on hand
- Ribbon, on hand
- Marker and hot glue
Total cost: $3.12
About the supplies: If you want, you can skip the floral foam wreath, as it doesn’t really show. You can mount the flip flops on a piece of cardboard, or it would be cute to use a piece of recycled wood if you are handy like that. I used three flip-flops (so, two pairs), but the middle flip-flop doesn’t even show, so you could get away with just using a single pair of flip-flops too. Save yourself $2 this way!
1. Wrap wreath with ribbon or torn fabric, securing with hot glue. (Skip this step if you aren’t using a foam wreath form).
2. With sturdy scissors, cut shark bite marks into flip-flops. Glue flip flops onto wreath (or background piece) with hot glue.
3. Write “Beware: Shark Infested Waters” on a piece of recycled cardboard or white card stock. Glue on glitter craft foam. Glue signs onto flip-flops.
Tip: I cut the straps off of the middle flip-flop to fit the sign easily onto the wreath.
4. Be sure to trim any bite marks into the sign as well!
5. Add a loop to the back of the wreath for hanging.
Crafty Shark Week!
Do you use Vine? Here’s my 6-second wreath tutorial! Follow me on Vine!