Spring is here! If you are looking for an inexpensive way to dress up your yard, this idea starts with materials out of the recycling bin. Cute, cheap, and Earth-friendly are qualities that make a wonderful crafty trifecta!
- Large can, on hand
- Spray paint, on hand or $1 and up
- Ribbon, on hand or $1 and up
- Embellishments, on hand or $1 and up
- Hot glue, on hand
Total: Free and up!
Remove the bottom of the can. If the can you have is white on the inside, you don’t have to paint it. Mine was silver so to prevent it from rusting, I painted it inside and out.
Glue a ribbon around the top and bottom edge of the can. Please be careful – depending what type of can opener you have, these edges may be very sharp! Put glue on one edge of the ribbon and starting at the seam of the can, roll the can along the edge. When you get all the way around to the beginning, hem the end of the ribbon using hot glue, folding it over the raw edge of the can. Repeat on the other end, starting and finishing at the same place.
Cut a piece of ribbon long enough to go down both sides of the can, plus the length that you want the hanger to be. Glue the ribbon to the sides of the entire length of the can, tucking the ends to the inside.
I used grosgrain ribbon for most of my wind sock. Grosgrain ribbon is thicker and you don’t see the glue underneath. If you can’t find grosgrain, try doubling your ribbon. Start at the very top and at the seam of the can, and generously glue the ribbon all the way around. Hem the edge before you glue it down. Repeat this step until you have covered the can in ribbon.
Decide how long you want your streamers and hem both edges. Glue one edge to the outside of the can. I used buttons to make it cute. I also added another ribbon just below where I glued the streamer to the can to make it a little stronger.
- Please be very, very careful with the edges of the can, if they are sharp!
- At first I worried that the can would make it too heavy, but it isn’t!
- If your ribbon will fray on the edges, hem it with glue or heat the ends with a lighter to seal them.
- Don’t use wired ribbon, as it will rust.
- Did I mention that the edges of the can may be extremely sharp?