Tote bags are a great beginner sewing project, but sometimes you need a little bit more of a specialized bag. These DIY bag tutorials don’t have a tote in the bunch! You can raid your fabric stash or hit the thrift store for linens to make any of these bags on the cheap.
1. Travel Duffel – This is a weekend bag tutorial from Sew Can Do, and I love the vibrant colors that she chose!
2. Yoga Mat Bag – Sewaholic’s drawstring yoga mat bag makes toting your mat to yoga class a lot less clumsy.
3. Mason Jar Bag – Keep your cold things cold with this free tutorial from Sew Mama Sew.
4. Camera Carrier – You can use this camera carrier from How Joyful as-is or as an insert to turn your favorite bag into an instant camera bag.
5. Foxy Purse – Mark Montano has a cute tute for a zippered fox clutch.
6. Carrie Purse – Turn a thrifted purse into a paint-splattered statement piece with this video tutorial from Pretty in Pigment!
7. No-Sew Clutch – Liquid Stitch is the secret to Kanelstrand’s super cute DIY clutch tutorial.
8. Free Messenger Bag Pattern – No Time to Sew shares her template for making this Tumbuk2-inspired messenger bag.
9. Rectangular Backpacks – Petit a Petit made this bag for her kids, but I think it would be great for grownups, too. And I love that it has handles, in case your shoulders are tired of toting your backpack.
10. Diaper Bag – Pretty much any bag with pockets works as a diaper bag, but what I love about this one from Melissa Mortenson is the divider. What a great way to keep things organized!