Well summer is certainly in full swing, isn’t it? It’s been a scorcher here in Atlanta, and I’m grateful for summery hand-me-downs, so my kid can be weather-appropriate without breaking our budget. If you can’t get free clothes, though, you can save a lot of money by making some of your kid’s summer wardrobe yourself, right? Here are some free summer clothing patterns for kids to help you save some cash this summer.
Some of these patterns are gender-specific, but many of those would really work for boys or girls. A tank top is a tank top, and shorts are shorts, in my estimation!
- Mori Sundress (12 months to 7 years) – The sweet, puffy sleeves on this pattern from Sew Chibi are rocking my socks!
- Kid Knit Shorts (2 to 5 years) – This unisex pattern from The Crafty Kitty looks great in Birch Fabrics, but you could also bust your stash to save a buck.
- Knit Dress (3 years) – This more basic sundress by Sew Like My Mom is part of Melly Sews’s 30 Days of Sundresses.
- Crochet Summer Hat (newborn to 6 months, 18 months to 3 years) – If you can get your kid to wear a hat, I would love to hear how you do it. For you lucky parents of hat-wearing kids, check out My Merry Messy Life’s crochet summer hat for kids!
- Kids Summer Shirt (18 months to 6 years) – I love a short-sleeved button down paired with shorts on a kid, and this unisex pattern that Pox Couture shared on Craftsy is perfect.
- Cargo Shorts (3 years, 6 to 8 years) – Craft Passion calls these boy shorts, but I could totally see a girl in them. Who doesn’t love a cargo pocket?
- Patchwork Shorts (any size!) – I know, lots of shorts on this list. But I couldn’t leave out these patchwork shorts made with old grownup shirts from Made by Rae! They’d work well for boys or for girls.
- Knit Tank Top (size 3 to 8) – Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom calls this a girls tank, but I could absolutely see my son in one. It looks so comfy!
- Swimming Briefs (3 years and under) – These super simple swim shorts from Pretty Prudent are pool perfect. I wonder if you could use the Knit Tank Top to make this a two-piece for a little girl, even?
- Basic One Piece Swimsuit (5T) – I love the ruffle at the top of Zaaberry’s one piece suit! She’s got instructions for turning it into a two piece, so if you have a boy, you could just make the bottoms!
The Kids Summer Shirt is not Free anymore.
Thanks for these patterns I’ll bookmark this blog to have the patterns handy when I need them. It will surely save me some dollars